Request for DMS Digital Media + On Air Sign

Is anyone interested in helping create a couple of permanent signs for outside the Digital Media Studio Space.

The first would be a sign that says “Digital Media Room”. Could be wood, or printed, or something interesting from the art room. I am really flexible.

The second sign would be an “On Air Sign” that would light up when the room is in use.
Or we Could combine them into 1 sign that says Digital Media:On Air

I am happy to pay for the materials. Unfortunately I do not have the skillset to complete this, but would be very happy to assist anyone who can help. I would like this completed by the end of this month.

Thank you!

1 Like

I’d offer, but I am starting to get my plate filled with prior committed projects.

That said, please don’t take this as discouragement for the idea, I really do like it; however, if you can’t get someone to work on it soon enough, couldn’t you use a simple “Do not disturb sign” taped to the door until something snazzier can be made?

I am sure you will have plenty of people volunteering to help eventually, if you don’t have it right away. After they experience what Digital Media offers, more volunteers should be easy to find!

2 Likes

These seems like an ideal project for a LASER engraved and LED lit acrylic sign.

2 Likes

AGREED! I can take a shot at it myself. Is it reasonably easy to learn?

@markbolla

1 Like

My business actually makes LED signs on a laser. Here are a couple of examples. I’m a little swamped with orders right now, but I will see if I can free up some time to give it a shot. Here are a couple of examples of desktop versions, but can be easily adaptable to wall mounting. If you want some tips Natasha, I can tell you how these are made. I can also send you my Coreldraw templates for the parts.

1 Like

@markbolla

Mark - Thank you SO MUCH for the information! I will make them if I have time, and any information you can provide is helpful. Also, if you wish to inbox a quote, I will check if i can make it happen.

Your work is beautiful, BTW.

Thank you!

1 Like

Mark,

Very nice work - I love the neon-like effects!

Glad to hear you are busy. (I am pro-capitalist and prefer American made)

JAG “Chillin’ Like a Villain with Bob Dylan” MAN

2 Likes

Thanks for the compliments. I actually didn’t intend to make signs when I bought my Universal Laser. But I made a lit up name sign for my 6 year old daughter, and then some neighbors saw it…and then some of their friends…and employers…and well, “geometric progression”. I experimented for a few months, mostly to simplify the construction and improved the backlighting. Originally I was gluing them together, but I quickly found out that was a troublesome path. So they screw together now. I’m not sure how the Laser files are created for the laser at DMS, but mine start out as Coreldraw files. I can send you the Coreldraw file if you are familiar with the workings of the DMS laser and that wrks for you. My laser is a 60 Watt laser, so my power/speed settings will probably be different than that one. I make almost all of mine with 1/4" clear cast acrylic for the sign part (The base can be any color, although the ones in the picture are also clear), and a strip of LED tape along the bottom edge of the sign, powered by a small 12 volt transformer “wall wart”. My standard sizes are 4" wide, 6" wide, and 10" wide. Like I said, I can also put one together for DMS, but I can’t get to it immediately because I’m currently set up to engrave glass mirrors right now. And I wouldn’t charge anything for it. (Just let everyone know where you got it :slight_smile: )

Mark, excellent story!

I really appreciate it! I am not versed on the Laser, and I am trying to ramp the Digital Media Committee up, and your help is REALLY appreciated!

If you want to place a tag on the sign “Made By @markbola” stamp on the sign, that works well for me.

This is swell. Thank you so much for your time and energy on this!

So I had some time and I made this. It’s a new design for me because I created this new 10" size that I hadn’t produced before. Its LED powered and has a small 12V wall wart to power the sign. One picture is unlit and the second is with it lit up. I will bring it to MakerSpace soon. I designed it sideways so it can be mounted on a wall. If you like it, it’s my contribution to the Space.

4 Likes

That looks really nice!

You could etch another one facing the other way, and put a white piece of cardstock between them so that when they light up you can read it correctly from both sides…with white card stock, it may appear like a white panel until you hit the light…

Yes, that would take an even bigger redesign because I would have to double the slot width for the sign. The embedded LED strip is 1/4" wide and matches the acrylic width right now.

Mark, THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking out your time to make it happen.
Love “On The Air”, and I think this sign is PERFECT.

I can make some type of small plaque outlining that you made it…I do not see the credit going to you.

Wonderful work, and very much appreciated.
Sorry for the late response…

@markbolla

Natasha, I’m going to get the sign down to DMS soon. I don’t get down there all that much because I live about 25 miles away. Where would you like me to leave the sign?

Hello Mark -

You can leave the sign in the old A/V (Digital Media) room next to the computer. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to DMS most of the time. Also, if it is easier to ship the sign, I can send the shipping money to you.

I really, really appreciate it! Look forward to having it installed.

Thank you!

@markbolla

It’s there now Natasha. I left it around 11:45AM

Thank you, Mark! I am headed to the space this evening, and will see about getting it mounted.

Thank you so much again!