Reprogramming for later shifting in an automatic

Hey I had a quick question. I recently helped a friend get their Mitsubishi Lancer running but noticed something. When we are driving it idles at around 1,300 RPM but shifts around 2,000. Is there a way to reprogram this to shift later? Maybe 3,500 or 4,000?

It’ll shift at a higher RPM with more throttle. If it doesn’t then there’s likely something wrong with the car.

Yeah the early shifts are constantly at around 2,000 whether I’m just a little on it or pedal to the metal.

Sounds like this probably isn’t a ECU controlled transmission, unless something is wrong enough to throw a MIL code.

In a hydraulic controlled automatic, you have governor pressure that is dependent on input RPM, and possibly modified by output RPM. And you have throttle pressure, that may be generated by a cable connected from the throttle to a lever on the transmission, or by a vacuum input, inverted. The balance between governor pressure and throttle pressure is what determines shift point in a traditional automatic. It sounds like you are getting no throttle pressure, or it is leaking out of the valve body before it does any good.

I suppose there may also be some versions where the ECU electrically signals the throttle pressure, and some actuator or solenoid converts it to hydraulic for the valve body to use.

more info will help, re: year, configuration, engine/transmission codes, etc.
1300 RPM is high for virtually any modern automobile engine, and I would address that first, as the cause may be affecting all those things @kbraby mentioned (vacuum, kickdown cable, etc.).
Good job on getting it running!

1 Like

It is a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES. It has a 120HP 2L 4 cylinder engine with a 4 speed automatic transmittion.

1 Like

Going to disagree there, unless the a/c is on, but non-functional (but in an electronic controlled, fuel injected car, like the 2003 Lancer, even then it won’t idle @ 1300 RPM as the ECU will work to keep it ~1000 RPM).
Warm engine idles typically run ~750-1000 RPM, especially for anything in the modern era, gasoline, etc. even with A/C on, (which seeks to keep the idle at the specified RPM, but might actually increase 100-200 RPM to reduce vibration). Typically, even with A/C on, excess of 1000 is indicative of other problems.
Definitely in a 2003 Lancer. Even if the A/C is on. Especially if the trans is in “drive”.

1 Like

I just had this issue on a late model es300.

If the check engine light is not on. Check your fuel lines, filter and fuel pump.

Mine happened during reassembly of the engine after replacing knock sensors. It just wouldn’t go over 4000 rpm.

Turns out the last mile of the fuel line is a rubber hose from the filter to the fuel rail. I found it going to replace the fuel filter. Straightened it out… good to go

Haven’t found a clear answer for how this transmission is controlled, but high idle in combination with this may indicate a questionable throttle position sensor. If you have access to an OBDII dongle and torque app, or similar, you could verify it is reading correctly or not.

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2003-Mitsubishi-Lancer/expert-review/
page 3
electronically controlled (as expected)

I think my next plan of action is to run an OBDII scan to see if anything is going off. I also will check the TPS to see if anything is not correct with it.(it possibly could have been messed with because we did find rat junk on the engine)I believe it is on the throttle body correct?

1 Like

Presuming it has a throttle cable, and isn’t throttle by wire, the TPS is usually on the opposite side of the throttle body from the throttle cable.

You may get something from obd2 but you’ll need the service manual specs for the readings

The Toyota vehicle tps sensor in the Lexus reads between 10 and 80. On a Honda it’s 0 to 100

Signs point to fuel delivery here… go through the whole system