Replacing hydraulic cylinder seals

Anyone have experience rebuilding hydraulic cylinders? I ordered a seal kit for the passenger cylinder on our 2 post lift, so will need to replace the seals after the parts arrive. It has a very slow seep, just enough to notice it build up at base over a few months, looking in the reservoir it has lost less than ~1/4" of fluid since we originally filled it.

All I know about rebuilding is from watching this video, looks doable assuming we can get the cylinder out. In theory just need to hold the carriage up on the stops and lower the cylinder to be able to lean it out.

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y40ZxPqLvg8

3 Likes

Hopefully it’s just seals and no honing of the cylinder walls is needed. Check the surfaces carefully. Any bad spots will let the fluid go by.

2 Likes

I’d like to “double-like” this video.

1 Like

I will be there. If you are going to do this on a weekday, let me know and I can start taking it apart early.

I’d suggest waiting until the parts arrive.
No point in taking the lift out of commission until the parts are on site

2 Likes

Parts arrived but I won’t be available this weekend, I put an event on the calendar for May 14th starting at Noon. Obviously the lift will be unavailable for use until it is put back together.

I cannot make it the 14th - my Aggie nephew’s graduation is that Sat.

The seals shouldn’t too tough - getting the cylinder out/in is 75% of the work

Bump, this is tomorrow, the lift will be unavailable until we get it back together.

Success, lift is back together.

The old seal clearly had a crack in it

The only hard part was getting the retention clip out, took about an hour. A very small punch and modified screw driver allowed us to pry it up enough for the end to come out.

3 Likes