Replace the Ramp Garage Door (Stan Simmons)

Replace the Ramp Garage Door (Stan Simmons)
Problem: The existing garage door has failed several times in the last year and needs to be replaced.

Solution: Overhead door has given us a quote for replacing the garage door with a new door, connecting it to the existing opener. The un-insulated version is $2445. The insulated version is $3660. A quote is in the Infrastructure Committee drive: \files\committees\infrastructure\Overhead Door Quote.pdf

Allocate $2500 to purchase and install a replacement ramp garage door. Authorize the bookkeeper to generate and pay a purchase order for up to $2500 for the new door.

Relevance: A reliably working ramp door is needed to continue our mission.

3 Likes

Stan showed me there are options form certain panels to be replaced to allow light in. I think that would be a great option. Doors are on North side so I don’t think +$1,200 has a good pay back. Main heat loss is leaving doors open.

1 Like

If you want another quote, Hollywood Overhead Door in Northeast Dallas is a locally-owned rolling door manufacturer. We used to live in the neighborhood where their facility is. Even with the somewhat eye-sore-ishness of their plant, and occasional truck traffic, the neighborhood fought to keep them around when real estate bidnessmen tried to get their property re-zoned out from under them.

http://hollywoodohd.com/

2 Likes

East side… but I agree, an additional $1,200 isn’t worth it.

1 Like

Doh! No wonder I wasn’t allowed to lead patrols in the Army.

6 Likes

Could probably insulate the door ourselves for much less, FYI

1 Like

It’s much nicer than it sounds. It’s not just insulation glued to the back. It’s sandwiched between the sheet metal and the seals between the panels are different. It’s worth every penny of that upcharge in my opinion.

7 Likes

Meh…you were close enough for government work. :point_up_2::point_left::point_down::point_right:

6 Likes

Where I work I added radiant barrier insulation to our uninsulated metal warehouse doors and it dropped the heat gain in the warehouse by nearly 20 degrees within the area near doors and overall the warehouse is able to be air conditioned about 10 degrees cooler when it is 100 degrees outside. Our warehouse is is basically how the back half is next door to DMS. It is kept between 50 and 85 like climate controlled storage would be. If we ever replace our warehouse doors I am going to push for getting insulated panels. Our warehouse doors face south and get the morning and mid day sun. After about 4pm the afternoon sun does not shine on them directly.

4 Likes

I’d vote insulated too. Uninsulated metal doors are like leaving a door open.

4 Likes

Factory insulation is far better than any “do it yourself” half assed project that will never look or work right.

Spring for the extra moola and go first class for the door

6 Likes

INSULATED door all the way - Even a small amount of R-value will reduce the heat that can come in from the outside. No insulation, and you have direct heat transfer – anyone familiar with heat transfer knows convection, conduction, and radiation – metals are generally very good conductors of heat. To me the decision isn’t insulation or not insulation, but how much insulation.

R-Value Reduction in Heat Flow
R-8 90%
R-12 93%
R-16 95%
R-20 96%
R-32 97%

1 Like

I’ve sent an email to Overhead Door asking them to schedule the installation of an insulated door as soon as possible.

9 Likes