Repairs to Clausing Colchester lathe

Can someone let me know if the Clausing Colchester lathe has been put back together? I am not certain who is doing the repairs. It looks to me that a member who knows what he is doing has started some needed repairs. There has been a leaking “O” ring for a while. Whoever is doing the repairs THANK YOU!!! dumb900. AKA Richard A. Anderson. You could text me @ 214-518-2341. Or “e” mail me at [email protected]. Also send me a message who and when one of you guys cold teach me the Shark lathe.

Here’s the status from the meeting on repairs.

I replaced the o-ring this afternoon but the machine is not yet back in service. I plan on being by tomorrow afternoon to work on it some more. I only will have until about 5:45 to work on it though.

1 Like

Jim Kreter was working on it and said that he would finish on Monday or Tuesday. Don’t know if he has done anything yet.
I’ll reac out to him at a more civilized time.

1 Like

I will be draining and replacing the oil this afternoon. I am installing piping with a shut off valve so that next time it wont be so awkward to drain.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I visited Maker Space Sunday and the lathe had lots of pieces removed. It looked like quite a project. I am pleased you guys know what you are doing. Thanks again. I am Richard A. Anderson AKA dumb900.

Thanks Charles. Yes it looked like quite a project. I was told quite some time ago there was a leaking “O” ring. The other thing is I am wanting someone to give me instruction on the Shark lathe. Thanks again Richard.

You guys are doing great. I see messages after yours that progress is being made. I also want someone to give me instructions on the Shark lathe. Thanks again Richard.

As I told other guys you all are doing great. I am a novice on the lathe. I have mentioned to other members I want someone to instruct me on the Shark lathe. I may get more than one offer for help. Thanks again Richard.

1 Like

@TBJK I may stop in on my way to a thing. We can take a look at that screw for the dovetail and see if we need to order/fashion another as I’m curious as to what I may have missed.

Tim knows but to all others servicing it the LOTO lock is my personal one since I denergised it for starting service. The key is accessible to the committee for whomever does the repair work.

The Colchester is now in-service. I’m not going to say its the best it could be. It is better though.

3/32 ball bearing for the detent was replaced.

We are leaking some oil out of the shifter. I’m hoping that it just needs to get worn in. The compound does have some backlash in it but operates pretty smoothly I think.

Sorry it took so long guys.

6 Likes

No apologies needed I think. Sounds like it was a good group effort. Thanks all who helped!

1 Like

Tim,

Thank you for organizing the repair day.

The fact that you had so many folks try and help speaks to

the caliber of all involved at the top.

Best,

Jim

1 Like