Repairs to Clausing Colchester lathe II

The Clausing Colchester lathe now has new oil in the gear selector and the drivetrain boxes. The gear selector took 1 gallon of DTE 24. We emptied less than a quart. Tim’s repair to the gear selector was good. No leaks. The drive train gear box yielded about a gallon of very clear oil and took 3 gallons of DTE 24. We must plug in a maintenance schedule to top off all machines every quarter. Charles and I installed a 1/4 NPT valve on the lathe so that the next time it will be easier to drain the drive train gear box. What a monumental PITA it was. We cleaned up the mess under the lathe but PLEASE look for leaks. Charles ran the lathe for ~30 min and it burped. It needed more oil for the gear box. The lathe is NOT IN SERVICE. The compound is still apart and the lathe is locked out. If you have a burning need to get the lathe back in service then contact Charles with your availability to help.
Best,
Jim

5 Likes

Thank you Jim for taking care of this. I worked a little while on the compound however its still not to my likings yet. I intend on working on it more tomorrow afternoon (after 4pm likely)

2 Likes