Reopening update

Would it be possible or advisable to temporarily hire a medical person(s) to take temperature upon member arrival?

2 Likes

It doesn’t take a medical person to do that and while temperature is useful if it exists, it seems that a lot of the time it doesn’t.

While I agree absence of fever is no guarantee that one is free of disease, I find it quite reasonable that someone with fever should be at home ( I would have felt that way prior to the current pandemic ). I think a temperature check would be a reasonable part of any check in process.

1 Like

Can we at least expect MS to open in the next month?

I wonder if our FLIR camera could serve a purpose here. Not sure how it works - whether it shows relative or absolute temperatures.

Skin temperature can’t tell the difference between someone with a fever, and someone who has recently done some physical exertion, like say walked to the space, or loaded heavy supplies into their car.

2 Likes

Sadly, no more walking to Tanner and back.

There have been reports of people taking medication to temporarily lower the temperature of a fever to pass such a test. Nothing about whether an infrared camera can be fooled by this trick.

Many volunteers are working hard to get DMS opened ASAP. We have not set are hard date.

1 Like

My company is looking at a solution from here: https://www.inhandnetworks.com/solutions/InMetrics-temperature-reading.html

I think the model they are considering can be integrated with the RFID and time clock systems. Think the basic system is ~$5K.

Cost / benefit analysis. An elaborate system to detect temperature is not guaranteed to detect everyone who is sick. Fever is not the first symptom for many.

Not worth the hassle for the rest of us.

If you feel sick - STAY HOME.

Great news everybody! The Board met tonight and has voted to reopen Monday, 6/15/2020, with the following additional rules and precautions:

Official Committee area Covid-19 rules and policies.pdf (206.4 KB)

They were drafted with input from every committee chair who chose to give input (almost all of 'em).They will be reviewed and changed periodically as we proceed forward. They are not optional and are required for use of DMS facilities at this time.

Minutes can be viewed here: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20200612_Special_Meeting

10 Likes

I’ve uploaded this file to the wiki. If someone wants to take point on formatting it in Wiki form (whilst still leaving the original doc present), go for it: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Covid-19_reopening_rules

5 Likes

You guys put in a bunch of work!
Thank you all for really doing tough work.
Thank you for reading up on all the details and all the hauling.

3 Likes

Wasn’t suggesting elaborate. I meant just someone at the door using that instead of a thermometer.

Sorry if I conflated your question with the idea of integrating a temperature sensor with the RFID.

The thermal camera would probably be accurate enough to work, but it’s WAY overkill. I’d think abusing that particular piece of gear to the extent it likely would be is not a good plan.

There are thermometers that read temperature from the forehead. Something along those lines would be a better choice if you’re going to have a manned station at each and every entrance.

I think the idea that we would only use one entrance ignores the nature of DMS members, BTW.

Going to have to go with the honor system on this one.

Okay, I’m going to start this by saying that I’m really looking forward to getting back into the space now that we know for sure when it’s going to open. Hopefully, if all goes well, I should be back in town sometime between the 20th and 22nd.

That being said I have a question and I don’t want anyone to think that I’m poking holes, trolling or trying to cause any issues but it is a legitimate question.

If we were to do the infrared, laser or whatever it’s called temperature gauge like I have seen at some places what are we going to do to take into account people that have a higher resting body temperature?

I have actually been denied access to places up here in Arkansas and in Missouri because I have a resting body temperature between 99.2 and 99.5 degrees.
I’m not feverish, I don’t feel bad, but that has always been my resting body temperature. And sometimes it’s been even higher (skin temperature) because of exertion due to do what I do for a living.

Are we ultimately going to be running on an honor System of “don’t feel well? Don’t be here” or am I looking at being denied access to the space?

Again, I’m not trying to stir up anything, cause problems or poke holes in any plans, I’m just trying to figure out where I’m going to end up standing. Either way is understandable and acceptable and these particular times and situations.

We aren’t taking temps at the door. Simply asking that people check at home before they decide to come to the space.

3 Likes

I think it would be good to include a warning in the rules that anyone with elevated risk should stay home. The guidelines from the Texas Health and Human Services include such warnings. No matter how careful we are I don’t think we can adequately protect the high risk group against exposure. While this set of rules provide reasonable guidelines to reopen the space for healthy individuals, high risk individuals should not rely on these measures.

1 Like

the who is not flip flopping. they are actively undergoing peer review. that is part of the scientific review process. this virus is a new challenge for our species.

3 Likes