Reopening update

Hello makers!
We have begun the process of preparing the space for reopening. We don’t have a solid date yet, but we will have more details soon.

Today a few of us spent the day working on the facility. We swept, cleaned, organized pallets and serviced the AC units on the roof.

Over the next few days we will have things in order to start an organized reconfiguration of the committee areas and common facilities.

Watch this space for more details and the upcoming volunteer opportunities.

Thanks, James

Here are some pictures from today’s work. Thanks to all who have and will be helping out.

29 Likes

Awesome!!!
I’m having dynatorch withdrawals…

3 Likes

33 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion About Data Surrounding https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/reopening-update/71540

This should be visible by the public so that people may start joining again…

3 Likes

Updating this, and re-pinning it, would get my vote…

4 Likes

I’m not piling on, but when can we expect to hear a target open date? Fully understood everyone is volunteers, but after paying for months I’d love to have a ballpark idea of when we may get to return.

3 Likes

We hope to be able to announce that soon. We have a couple blockers at the moment that we are working through. One of the bigger blockers right now is the AC, we are addressing issues with three of the AC units. I’ve said it before, but this place is more work to keep closed than it was to keep open. :wink:

To give you a little more details on the progress:

• Jewelry and lapidary have completed their move to the new space
  • Glass is 95% set up in the kiln area
  • Ceramics has moved out of the old space but still needs to set up the new space
  • The Flex area has been update to support social distancing
  • Science, Electronics, Printmaking and 3d Fab are ready to go as is
  • CA has been set up for social distancing
  • All but 3 of the doors now have foot pulls on them, the remainder will be installed in the next few days
  • Machine shop is moved and operational
  • The common room is 50% done configuring for social distance
  • The galley has been set up to support social distance
  • All of the classrooms are set up for social distancing
  • Purple classroom has been temporarily converted to chair storage as a result of all the other social distance changes

A big thanks to all committees that have rallied to get this work done. We could not have gotten this far this quick without your dedication and hard work.

11 Likes

Thank you, this is a very beneficial update. I appreciate yours and every volunteers help to get us here. Is the woodshop set up for social distancing, seems most machines are set up with plenty of distance between.

5 Likes

With the new setups for social distancing, will the classrooms, flex, and committee area layouts be “locked” in terms of furniture placements? IE, no moving chairs, tables, etc. Not a complaint, just asking for clarification.

1 Like

You can move as needed, just respect the social distance requirements. So if you need to push tables together or something for a project that’s allowed.

2 Likes

OK, cool. If possible, can we get photos taken of each room’s “default” setting and have them posted at each doorway so people are reminded to put things back, and how it should look when they do so? Thanks!

10 Likes

Will masks be required? Please keep in mind that a person without a mask is the bad apple infecting everyone else. A mask doesn’t protect from those people.

I suppose I’ll only be going in late at night at any rate.

1 Like

Good idea! I’ll take some pictures tomorrow

1 Like

Masks will be required, we are still working through the specific details since the who and the CDC have differing standards.

8 Likes

It is probably better to go with the CDC since WHO is still flip-flopping like a fish out of water.

1 Like

Both have had their missteps, but generally we are sticking with the CDC because we have a member who takes their daily call for work and is able to update us immediately if there is anything that we should be considering.

4 Likes