Renisance wax for metal

I keep hearing folks talk about using this on metal to seal it and keep it from oxidizing,
I keep trying to decide if I should buy some, but it is is sort of expensive for something to just try

Hax anyone here used it on metal of any type and how did you like it

I think I saw mentioned there might be some renwax in the jewelry area somewhere…

That being said, I have some if you want to test-drive it on a piece. It does go pretty far if you decide to get some.

I did use it on some copper on a wall art piece over two years ago and it still looks great

I think it’d be fine for areas with less wear, but would come off eventually on anything that gets wear.

I do have another sealant [edit: Protectaclear] I’ve got that takes wear better (I have both a liquid and a spray version). It’s friendly to alcohol inks btw. Not everything is. Not sure about patinas. I got it after seeing it recommended multiple times in some of the fb jewelry groups. If you wanna test-drive that too, lemme know.

1 Like

It appears from the MSDS that this is a ‘white spirit’ and a wax. I mix turps and beeswax 50/50 by weight and heat them in a double boiler to combine the materials into a soft wax. May or may not be cheaper depending upon how much the bees wax cost you.

1 Like

I have some. It really adds that last 1%-2% to a finish on a pen or bowl or whatever. It is pretty friggin’ expensive (so only bought by same 1%-2%ers). Let me know if you want to try it out.

1 Like

Coin guys swear by protectaclear. I haven’t buckled down to pay the price to try it yet because I’ve also heard good things about clear powder coating

1 Like

YES! That’s it. That’s what else I have. Protectaclear. It was late last night and I was going blank on the name.

Anyway. I have both kinds. Liquid and spray. One is supposed to be friendlier to not messing up alcohol inks. I got both kinds because of some different usages I had need of. I wanna say they were around $20 each, have to get from their website.

I called them. The lady I talked to was super helpful when I told her my intended uses, she helped me pick the best products. I was interested in sealing alcohols inks, patinas, detailed intricate textures, things taking heavier wear. Wound up with the two products depending on which use/effort I wanted for that particular project (use either in most cases except alcohol inks, the rest came down to being determined by texture and effort of application, coverage, production logistics, etc)

Anyway, it has really good rep for protective coatings for jewelry etc

For sure let me know if it’s holding up on high wear pieces! As they move into rings I’d rather not enjoy the stench of nail polish regularly lol

1 Like

I have a special sealer for my flamed work patinas I have
been using Irlon spray sealer but it seems to soften in heat and pieces want to stick to
each other, Time for something else

Jeanie I would love to get with you and try goth the wc ad the Proteoclear on some item soon

1 Like