Remove Glass Cook Top "Permanet" Scorch

I have had a few marks like this on my stovetop in the past but they have always come off with a little whatever (soaking, cleansers, elbow grease, etc.). In this case I’ve used everything I can think of (including the cleanser that came with stove; some other types of soft-abrasive cleansers; vinegar+TotallyAwesome cleaner solution; 409 multi-surface cleaner) but to no avail. When I run a blue (non-scratch) scrub pad over the area, I can tell where the top is smooth vs. this area, meaning there’s something there on top if it (I guess). At this point, I am not even sure what it is or what caused it, specifically. Manufacturer has no help for me.

This is a relatively new cooktop, if that matters. Any thoughts, tips, tricks?

Did you try scrubbing it with a paste of baking soda?

1 Like

Not yet, but I will. :–)

I can’t be sure, but I am worried it is some sort of burnt/varnished on plastic-ish material.

Use a few sprays of oven cleaner (use the oven to heat/warm from the bottom up).

1 Like

magic eraser?

If it is, warming should soften…
I’ve had good luck with these cooktops going against the manufacturer’s recommendations and applying prodigious amounts of elbow grease, dawn or similar dish soap with h2o to suit, and super-sharp single edged razor with low angle of attack. I have had several now that I was convinced needed replaced, so I did what I did without regard for FUBARing the already fu’d top, and low and behold, the top survived, but the crud did not. Even the little “burner is here” circles re-emerged with my ministrations, to my surprise. Of course, I believe most of those were some type of super-caramelized carbohydrate mixture, for whatever that might be worth…
YMMV.
IANARS.

3 Likes

Good idea. I’ll try that after the baking soda, if needed

Tried already…not so “magic”, if you ask me!! :–?

Will try that, too, after the other two. I seem to remember doing this on an earlier glass cooktop I had

I’ve cleaned glass tops up with some barkeepers friend and a sponge, just to add to your list of options.

5 Likes

Yep…that’s pretty much the stuff that came with the cooktop. Whatever this is, it didn’t help :–(

I wish I could remember how it got there…sigh.

Our previous house came with a scratched cooktop. Like someone had set a dirty cast iron skillet on there and rotated it. After researching and discovering it was an odd, oversized unit and we’d need to replace the counter top to replace it, we stopped noticing the scratches.

2 Likes

I did wonder if the bottom of my (non- iron) skillet that I use 90% of the time might have ground something into the glass as one makes that “shake it up” motion with a skillet to mix stuff up. Except I do the same thing with other “burners” and never saw this happen on them. If that was what caused it must have been a one-time thing? The baking soda/soap/razor blade didn’t help much, so I am hoping the oven cleaner suggest will. Otherwise, I am with you…when you think about it, it gives the stove a little character and old-world charm, don’t you think?

#RationalizationRocks
#ICanGetUsedToJustAboutAnything
#Octothorpe

3 Likes

Try a razor blade. Angled a bit so you get a slicing cut.

2 Likes

#wabi-sabi
#excellentuseoftheoctothorpe

1 Like

Suggested above by the lovely and talented @jast. Earlier today I tried @John_Marlow’s baking soda idea with some liquid soap mixed in to make a paste and spread it on and let it sit for 20 mins and tried to scrub off…no joy. Then repeated, dribbled some vinegar on it to make some chemical bubbles for good measure, turned the heat on for a minute or so, waited for a while, and then used a razor-razor blade-blade (they are from China) to try and remove…still no luck.

I am pretty sure that the not quite as lovely nor quite as talented @jswilson64’s thought about it being a scratch rather than a build-up may prove correct. I’ll try big @johnsonj’s oven cleaner idea tomorrow. Tomorrow. There’s always tomorrow.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s fair.

1 Like

The stuff that usually comes with a glass cooktop is a mild abrasive like Cerama-bryte. Barkeepers friend is a mild abrasive+oxalic acid. It might make a difference.

A razor blade might also help debulk the stain prior to the barkeepers friend.

Well…tried the oven cleaner that I got yesterday (no fume, no-heat-required product). Left it on for ~1 hour. Used blue scrubber to remove. Whatever-it-is didn’t budge. Spayed some more, left it until bedtime, sprayed some more, came back this a.m. to scrub/clean…no effect…whatever-it-is didn’t budge again. It’s there for good, as far as I can tell. :–(

The End.

1 Like