Removal of obsolete hardware and books from committee area

@Hackerspace

Due to instruction from the board, this Friday, January 17, at 5:15pm, with a few exceptions, I will be removing obsolete computer hardware, books, and magazines from the committee area.

Exceptions:
anything that is being actively used for a project
the old Apple machines and commodore machine

@denzuko @MizGeek

All the books that are there are for the Infosec courses, building hardware and programming on the Apple, Unix, Raspberry Pi, and Commodore computers.

There is light up shelving in the rack that we need to put up and that would house said books.

The issue is the committe space looks like a mess and my concern is that we have yet to acquire any storage space for committee projects that’s to be racked up and clean up the space we do have.

These are $65 a piece. I can order three today and have them overnighted.

Also if we’re out of rack screws then let me know the size and I’ll include that into the order.

I am pretty sure the Java 2 book and html 4 book are not part of current infosec training. There may be some gems in that pile but there is a lot of stuff half price books wouldn’t give 2 cents for. It needs to be cleaned.

No one is saying you can’t have books and hardware, but two decade old books and hardware is just taking up space and getting in the way of real learning for people that engage with hackerspace.

6 Likes

When is the last time the commodore was programmed? When’s the last time it was turned on?

2 Likes

There is no committee storage outside of your area. If you don’t have room for the things in your space you would need to clean up, consolidate or get rid of items. Since this area is also an entryway, it is extra scrutinized for cleanliness and fire hazards.

2 Likes

There is no committee storage outside of your area.

Sounds like that one is implying items in the decommissioned expansion storage (aka where metal, automotive, etc. is expected to be already).

I don’t know anything about these other than last week our committee chair was going to hall that out.

Myself I’m only talking about items in the committee area.

Java 2 book and html 4 book are not part of current infosec training

where?! I’m only talking about books and items a that currently exist in the committee area nothing that was left in the expansion area. Last I knew anything there was either SDC/Thurmal’s crap or Raffi was putting in the dumpster last weekend.

I removed everything that was in the warehouse to the committee area as per the reasonable request from Rich.

if you zoom in Java 2 Is the top book on the pile. Html 4 is under it. There is a whole stack of out dated stuff.

1 Like

Some things were trashed and some were put on the freebie shelf. But most were just moved to the committee area.

wow… that’s a lot of …

Why was it moved to the committee area?!

Anyone want to unleash COBOL?

Screenshot_20200115-164001

2 Likes

Cobol runs on the VAX we have in the museum (accessible via xmcore bbs) and it’s still a thing:

https://www.indeed.com/q-Cobol-Programmer-jobs.html\

That’s besides the point though…

Why was the stuff in the back which one said was going to throw out put into the committee area let alone over load it with other “stuff”?

I bet those tables could have gone into project storage in the back

And it is nobody’s first language anymore, so if you want to use COBOL, you have no reason to use this book. You would be better served by a system of information transfer where you can search text and watch videos etc.

Got links?

That’s false. The number one never said that. It can’t speak. It’s not a person. Who does one refer to in that sentence?

Absolutely not

When was that book last used?

Just a reminder, but according to Kurt Godel, any system of logic will have statements that are true but not provable. So, at least according to Kurt Godel, I could not prove every true statement even if I wanted to. This idea is known as Godel’s incompleteness theorem.