Registration/Inspection for a car that's been parked for a few years?

Does anyone know the process to inspect/register a car in Texas that’s been parked and inoperable for a few years?

1 Like

As long as the prior registration is in your name, it should be straightforward at the local tax office. I had a motorcycle that was inoperable for a few years and I was simply slow on the repairs. When I finally got it road worthy, I got the inspection and applied for a current registration. With a simple statement that the vehicle had been inoperable and not driven on public roadways since the prior registration expired, I paid the current tax and fees due with no penalties for the lapsed years.

2 Likes

If you are worried about getting the vehicle to/from inspection, I believe you can apply for a 30 day tag or a 24 hour tag, at fairly nominal rates.

1 Like

When I had that situation, I simply carried receipts with me in case I got pulled over… Went to / from the muffler shop, oil change, and one other… before getting registration.

2 Likes

So you can get 3, 30 day tags. They are 30$ cash. That will allow you get inspections then registered. You have to get an inspection first.

2 Likes

Great answers everyone, many thanks!

1 Like