Recycling Your Old Candles

During the last candle class I brought some candle fragments which were donated to DMS by a lady who said, “her husband never threw anything out.” It occurred to me then that maybe some other folks at DMS had some old candles that just aren’t worth lighting again because they’re too short, too ugly or have lost their scent. If you do we can rejuvenate them by recycling them.

I wondered if there would be any interest in a candle recycling class? There would be NO charge for the class and you would leave with a candle or two from your old recycled candles.

Pretty much any type of wax will work. All that you need to do is remelt the wax, re-scent it and/or add color and mold it. I received about 5 lbs of wax worth of old candles from the lady above. I now have six candles which are new again.

You can also buy old beat up candles from your local thrift store for mere pennies and then remelt and remold them, too. You can use pretty much any kind of mold you like in addition to the molds you can buy there are some “free” ones anyone can make. I’ve made beer-can candles by pouring the wax into a beer can and then peeling the can away from the candle.

If you have any interest in doing this let me know at [email protected] or if you just want to get rid of some old candles let me know and I’ll take them. Just don’t throw them away, recycle them. We can use them in the next class.

4 Likes

I like that idea Dan. How about we get a Candle Re-Cycling Bucket" in CA, sort of like the battery bucket in the galley? If it sounds good I’ll pick one up.

That is an excellent idea. We’ll need to sort the colors before class, but
having a collection receptacle sounds like a great idea. Thanks for your
help.

1 Like

some yogurt containers are great. remove part of the bottom, and make that the top of the candle