Recycling Bottles

I know that we have the trash can in the Galley that takes in only cans to be recycled but I haven’t seen anything for bottles and I came across this large recycling bottle when I was digging through a garage sale. If I brought this up to the 'Space would it find a home in the Galley or maybe even replace the current recycling bin (maybe make another opening and label them as cans or bottles or mix cans and bottles)?

I guess my other question then would be, can we recycle other things besides cans (such as paper or bottles) or is there some limitation on our ability to do this (city, policies, etc)?

-the purring dork

So believe it or not, we actually don’t pay for recycling service. They wanted an absurd amount of money to do it (I don’t recall the amount) and we decided against it since our potential volume of recyclables is relatively low. In the past, other members have been happy to take the recyclables from the space to their local recycling center (which don’t offer free recycling for businesses).
That all being said, if you’re willing to empty the container every so-often and take the bag to a recycling center as a resident ( :wink: ) then I’m certain you’ll have no opposition from DMS!

I’m down for that. Just need to figure out how often the large container with bottles and cans will need to be emptied. Then we can remove the general use trash can that is there and put it to better use elsewhere.

-the purring dork

1 Like

I would think that the aluminum would disappear into the foundry for casting projects as a more direct form of recycling.

1 Like

If the foundry wants the cans out of it, I’m sure we can use a magnet filter to get them out of the recycling stream.

Got the bottle up at the Space and I think the plastic flaps will really curtail regular trash getting thrown in with the recyclables.

-the purring dork

1 Like

I think the foundry will want aluminum cans, primarily, in addition to those being the most likely to be at the space in the form of beverage cans, and magnets won’t help with that.
Having said, I keep wishing I had time to commission a magnetic-centrifuge-type waste stream recycler, so we could pull copper, iron, aluminum, and maybe other separable materials out of the trash, and then recycle via the foundry as mentioned.

As a less extravagant method, if we build it, will they help sort?