Recruiting outside/expert teachers

No need for apologies!

Member retention has been identified as an area that we could improve on.

I’m a noob myself, and I think that fresh perspectives and opinions are valuable.

4 Likes

What class subjects are in such demand that we need to hire an outside instructor? Spread the word. A member may well step up and develop a class to fill the need.

4 Likes

I would seeing doing this for one day workshops in the arts Get someone who
has a new set of skill or more expertise to teach a 2-4 hour class

In addition, why don’t we look within our own community for those who might not be available to contribute for various reasons, such as a lack of facilities?
If we can add facilities in our expansion to enable brewing, for example, a professional brewmaster and member is available to teach brewing. Once we had the facilities and an active program in brewing, then we might be able to recruit outside for teachers of related crafts of cider, wine, and soda making.

that is a good question and worthy of it’s own thread or at least a list. the answer lies in what the interest is.

Woodshop:
The American Association of Woodturners maintains a resource directory of traveling instructors and demonstrators. the page is here: resource directory

Local working shops and even asking the local woodworking stores who they have brought in the past and for contact information. (hey, may Norm Abrams is available).

Creative Arts / Leather:
Tandy leather company is in ft. worth and has at least 5 Al Stolhman award winners on staff who regularly demonstrate at Tandy stores. They are probably all available for hire as well.

MJ Design / Michael’s use to have local artist come in and offer classes. It might be worth investigating who they bring in.

Machine Shop:
HAAS has a local outlet here in richardson. perhaps they could provide some guidance.
AutoDesk may be someone worth contacting as well.

Keep this list going.

Frank is correct but spend the money and more importantly OPEN IT UP to the public and advertise it. We’ll make the money back and then some. again, I use the CNC seminar held in 2017. 30 tickets sold at $300 each ($9k). even if you have to pay out half that in honorium, hotel and airline, that’s still a good profit for DMS. There is a good chance that DMS members will not pay the $300 because they are of the mindset that it should be free but who cares. Out of the 30 ticket holders DMS makes some money to keep in going and some of those 30 may in turn become members. win - win. and no one can say current DMS members will not have had the opportunity as well.

4 Likes

Sue used to teach jewelry at Michaels, They discontinued almost all of their jewelry
classes, I dont know about other classes

Folks can also look at local art fairs for folks that are in the general area or fairly close
Talk to artist, finding out that an artisan from New York likes doing shows in Dallas because
they son or daughter lives here is worth grabbing a card and making a note to that
If they come visiting at other times, they might be a source of an outside teacher

There is a wonderful needle felt artist that does the Gunky Finds show in the spring and fall,
I know she does teach classes , Folks like her might be good to talk to

1 Like