Recreate this little rubber thing!

My dad’s movers lost the rubber spacers for his glass dining room table. He has one that can be scanned and possibly 3D printed with ninja flex? He thinks I have the skills for that or can learn parts duplication quickly. Which is cute of him…but unrealistic.

Anyway he claims to have scoured the internet with no avail for the part and is willing to pay for a 3D Fab to do this

1 Like

DigHealth Non Slip Furniture Pads - Heavy Duty Adhesive Rubber Furniture Pads to Protect Hardwood Floors-Best Chair Leg Covers and Tiled, Laminate - Large Pack of 186 PCs and Assorted Sizes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WP9QX58/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_K.U6ybNJ8Z0BK

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

Frank’s suggestion is definitely worth looking into; but, if it doesn’t work for what your Dad is looking for, it might be helpful to post an image and maybe some measurements (inside/outside diameters, thickness, etc…).

If NinjaFlex doesn’t turn out to be optimal for whatever reason(s), there are other ways to make similar items (laser cut would be the cheapest probably, “tough” resin might be an option; but, of the three mentioned in this response - would be the most expensive…). Honestly, I’d probably go with either the suggestion from @frank_lima or cut some rubber on the laser… :wink: :smiley:

3D scanning an object like that is usually not practical over just CAD modeling it. @fedakkee does the 3D scanning classes and I’ve tried replicating objects with the next engine scanner with bad results usually because of all the software skill involved.

That said if you have the part with you I can model it up and print it for ninjaflex at the space it shouldn’t take more than an hour.

1 Like

Two alternate suggestions. (Without having seen the part.) Both these are fast and inexact compared to the 3D printer.

1. Container store sells clear silicon bumper pads that might work nicely.

2. Buy a tube of clear silicon caulk and “model” the parts using that.

3 Likes

Thanks for including that. When suggesting a photo and measurements, I had “CAD” in mind - not scan - for the very reasons you mention. I just didn’t make that clear. Thanks again!

[quote="Diplomat, post:5, topic:19702"] Container store sells clear silicon bumper pads that might work nicely. [/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion! I have actually purchased clear silicone pads at Walmart for similar reasons. They work great - especially if you get enough for the whole “set” so the surface ends up being “level” after the change. :smiley:

Clear ones are available at Home Depot for $2.62 a 10-pack. Marketed for placing items securely on top of glass tabletops, but work underneath as well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-3-4-in-Clear-Vinyl-Non-Adhesive-Discs-for-Glass-Surfaces-10-per-Pack-9966/100191399?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=sXHAZG02o|dc_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_111414437105_pkw__pmt__product_100191399_slid_&gclid=CI2XmuyTmtMCFQkwaQod37sAsg

2 Likes

That’s the part. The female end goes into the table supports then the glass goes on top. However you experts think is the best method I’m sure he won’t care. It’s just outside my skill set and I want to make snarky signs for the house instead

1 Like

He wants the exact thing…or a thing close to it. He’s insistent lol

Banana for scale?
Seriously, though, measurements might help procurement of replacements.
e.g.

If you’re looking to MAKE some, I think you’re going to want to do the “reverse silicone mold” thing, and 3d print, laser cut, make in wood, or otherwise make a mold, and then put silicone in it till cured…

EDIT: Here’s some you might be able to buy today locally @ Tru Value

rubber baby buggy bumpers…

2 Likes

Working on it…told him to take a pic with a ruler or just measure the darn thing. I’ll bring it up next time I’m at DMS if needed.

Probably. He doesn’t WANT to make it but swears it is some super special bespoke part and that he’s searched the entire internet and all hardware stores known to human kind. I’ve been his kid long enough to not try and argue the point. He got the table from Rooms to Go…I’m not sure if you know this but they’re pretty custom. He got to pick out his own chair colors and everything.

:astonished: I wonder if the end of the internet has a gift shop? If it’s available for less than a dollar order it, charge him five, and call it bespoke. I won’t tell him and shall regale the tales of your epic quest to make the bumper. We can’t ruin the illusion that the ugly table is a prized antique in process and shall be revered by my children’s children because it’s special (right down to the bumpers)

2 Likes

Lmao. That’s pretty much what I get stuck on when he’s talking about it. Or giggling about how many times he says “male nipple”

I can make that part in TinkerCAD in about 5 minutes if I could use a caliper on it. It’s clear but it’s probably rubbery, in order to recreate that exactly, we would need to buy silicon make a mold and cast it in a clear silicon. The closest I could see for 3D printing it would be using clear ninjaflex or a rigid part that’s clear using our new resin printer.

I can guarantee you to get that perfectly exact part duplicated would cost at least $60-100 in silicon molding materials (probably a low estimate for essentially a low volume prototype part), is it really worth it?

Id’ be willing to help you get something close fast and cheap but if it has to be transparent and rubbery, that’s a ton more work.

Whatever won’t break the table. I’ve got the part so calipers away!

Dumb question but why can’t we just use ninja flex? It’s just a shock absorber and I think clearish is close enough

Ninjaflex would be a perfect application for it, The transparent ninjaflex isn’t very transparent because of the printing process it’s a very diffused clear if that matters.

I’ll be at the space before the member meeting. I can check it out.

Ninjaflex is about $40/lb we don’t have clear in 3D fab so you’d have to buy some. https://www.amazon.com/NinjaFlex-TPU-3D-Printing-Filament/dp/B00JF5EZ7K?th=1

1 Like

Yep let me know. :slight_smile:

Maybe outsourcing it to 3DHubs would be cheaper than springing for 1,000 grams of Ninjaflex to print a dozen grams worth of parts. Failures are included in the price, so you’d pay for results, not eforts.

#ATaskDelegatedIsATaskCompleted