Recommended tungsten / filler rod for TIG welding aluminum tubing?

I’m considering AC TIG welding some 1" x 1" x 0.05" square aluminum tubing, and need to choose consumables. What tungsten and filler rod would be a good place to start?

Varies by Alloy as does weldability.

1 Like

I’d personally go with 3/32 maybe even 1/16” 2% lanthinated (blue). Filler is going to depend on what alloy your base metal is, as David suggested.

2 Likes

@Photomancer @TBJK Thanks for the advice. I only see the square tubing in the size I need in 6xxx series aluminum, which looks to have OK weldability. Will give 3/32 2% lanthanated a shot. Metroplex Welding sold me thoriated tungsten way back when, but even if that would work, I’d prefer to use something that’s not radioactive.

I highly recommend 3/32 or 1/8 100% tungsten (green) as you’re less likely to overheat your metal if you’re new to aluminum welding or just tig in general. The size tungsten and filler metal will also depend on the thickness of your aluminum. 3/32 filler is a pretty good base choice however if you start running into really flat welds that means you’re overheating the metal and you need to use a larger size filler wire or tungsten.