Recommendations on framing glass?

Do we have any tools to cut glass? Also does anyone know where I can buy framing glass?

1 Like

Glass for art and picture frames or something else?

Regular picture glass is available from Lowes and Home Depot. Not sure about frosted/non-glare glass, and UV blocking or Museum glass is probably gonna have to come from a frame shop.

The glassworks committee should have cutters, but I wouldn’t know the specifics on location.

Glass for a picture frame

Glassworks has a grid cutting “board/system/whatever you call it”, and scoring tools and breaking pliers.

I believe Hobby Lobby, Micheals, and possibly Joann’s sell it, but not cheap.

joanns does not do framing anymore.

please define “not cheap”

Are you looking for glass for one frame? more than one?

what size? or sizes?

Plain glass? Or as mentioned above other types of glass for picture framing?

As an example from one online retail shop for glass (all same size of 8" by 10"):

Clear glass. $3.50
UV blocking $22.00
Museum $35.00

The print I have is 22’’ x 28’’. I was hoping to make one for the experience of it. However if buying one off the shelf at Joannes or hobby lobby is more cost effect I will go that route.

I need to adjust my prices!

1 Like

Making a frame will be an experience at the Makerspace.

Buying off the shelf for “standard” sizes of most anything is the more economical way to go, but then you don’t get any experience out of it for later when you may need a non standard size frame.

Tailored clothing, custom vehicles, commissioned furniture all “cost more” than the standard retail store.

1 Like

The experience is what I’m looking for :slight_smile:

What size and how much do you need? There is some frame glass that was donated to Glassworks and I also have some.

1 Like

22’’ x 28’’ is the size of the print

@Arushi_G. I probably have a 22x28 you can have. If you want to mat your print the it would be larger. I will contact you tomorrow about an evening at our store.

I will know tomorrow at work on the glass size.

It is time for me to rehome my excess plain clear glass (@meanbaby do you want more?)

I am on my way back from San Antonio.

I have plenty, thank you for asking.

Not the answer I was hoping for!

2 Likes

@Team_Glass - Vincent do you need some float glass? Hook up with TLAR if you do.

2 Likes

I take it, how much do you have?