Recommendations for rollaway tool cabinets

I’m in the market for a rollaway tool cabinet for my bench drill press and all my rotary tools and want member recommendations for one with really good locking wheels.

Which brands do you like and why?

I have been surfing Northern Tool and Home Depot thus far.

“Really good” is near impossible to find at the two places you are shopping…

If you have no budget - Lista cabinets are nice - made in the USA as well. Many sizes and options to choose from.
https://www.listacabinets.com/

If unlike the old DMS you do have a budget - I’d suggest re-purposing a USA made heavier steel cabinet and buy higher quality locking casters from local supplier, and make it how you want it.

Or try this site for one or their roll carts.
http://www.strictlytoolboxes.com/

A set of heavy duty locking casters on one of these 8 drawer (very heavy duty)microfilm cabinets may be an ideal cabinet for a variety of tools, parts etc in any workshop. (I have two of their 12 drawer models in my home workshop)
russ bassett 8 drawer

2 Likes

I don’t really have a budget but I’m definitely NOT wanting to spend $1400. More in the $350 range for a solid rolling single stack preferring a 40" + height and I’ll see about replacing the casters if I don’t like what comes on it.

As for locks, if they get in my garage it’s likely gone anyway so I see lock choice as not a consideration in my application. No lock would be fine with me.

As for converting a file cabinet, it doesn’t really have the structure I’m looking for.

After looking around, I think my direction is looking for a used sliding drawer tool box that I’ll build into my own custom base because the new ones are all simply too expensive. Least cost acceptable I found was appx $700 which I just cannot justify spending.

1 Like

The micro film cabinets are not your plain jane file cabinets from offshore.

Granted they do not come with a wood top to mount tools too.

Empty the 8 drawer ones weigh about 250-300 pounds due to their quality carcass construction & full ball bearing fully opening drawers.

2 Likes

how tall is one stack?

Axel,

I’ll measure the set of 8 drawers and I found I have a smaller set of 6 drawers that I won’t use - I’ll measure that one as well.

The stack of 8 drawers is 41.5" tall, 24" wide across the front, and 28.5" front to back of the cabinet.
drawers have dividers in them and are spaced at 4.125 and have a usable interior length of 27"

the stack of 6 drawers is 29.5" tall

Neither of these have casters or feet.

I’m thinking of making an oak frame for this and hope to make a lift system to push down the casters using a car screw jack, when in motion, I want this thing on feet to handle the weight & pressure without issue when not in motion. That will also immensely extend the life of the casters. Above the built in lift system will be the space for the drawers - then the top working surface which I will bolt the drill press to. That’s my rough outline.

How tough do you need them to be?

The rolling cabinets in 3D Fab and Creative Arts were from Sam’s Club and I seem to recall they cost around a couple of hundred each.

I happened through home depot this evening for some supplies and they have a nice lil rollaway work surface for $300 - but it’s actually larger than I wanted…