Recommendations for Material Sources for a Sofa

I’m looking to make a sofa (namely this one) and instead of having buying the cushion I was thinking it would be more interesting to make it myself. I was also thinking of maybe trying to get something a little different for the 7 2x6’s I’ll be needing (maybe Walnut?) Are there any places in the area that is recommended for the foam/padding, cloth, and lumber I’ll need?

Thanks!

1 Like

For the cloth, I’d check Golden d’Or (10795 Harry Hines Blvd Dallas, TX 75220 (214)351-2339 ). They carry an extensive inventory of home decor fabric.

5 Likes

A few blocks north of Golden d;Or off of Harry Hines there is a short street
called Perth. It is on the west side for the HH s. It is the first street to the west after
you pass Walnut Hill,

There are several fabric outlet stores on it, Last year the one on the corner of Prth and Harry Hines had a lot
of home dec fabric

2 Likes

I LOVE golden d’or since they remodeled! As an added bonus just south of the store there is a taco shop called el paisono or something like that. Good food!

I don’t know if golden d’or sells foam though.

1 Like

Hey there, I can hopefully answer all 3.

Fabric- I agree Harry Hines has a lot of good places, but if you’re looking for more upholstery fabrics, Google “Fabric stores on Midway” and there’s at least 5-6 of them that are pretty good. I’ve gotten a lot of good deals in that area.

Foam- I usually get mine from JoAnne’s or Hobby Lobby with their “40% off one item” coupons and that makes it pretty reasonable.

Lumber- I’m not sure a brick and mortar is going to be very cost effective, but Rockler always has pretty good lumber, but you’re going to pay for it. Usually I shop on ebay. The lumber sellers on there seem to have best prices, and they supply a lot of good pics of what you’re going to buy. Also, they are very good about giving the correct measurements. If some of them don’t seem to have what you want, most will do custom cuts.

Good luck!

4 Likes

This place is fantastic for selection and quality.

Childress Fabrics
15201 Midway Rd, Addison, TX 75001
(972) 267-9100

https://goo.gl/maps/CRd4raJZeDt

2 Likes