Recommend a basic multimeter

My '70s Radio Shack multimeter is very obsolete now so I would like to buy a decent digital multimeter for household and automotive maintenance. i would like to spend less than $100. I have looked at the low end Flukes and they don’t seem too appealing.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model? Is there a good, used model of Fluke that I should be looking for?

Has anyone bought another brand that they can recommend?

TIA for the help.

Not that I’m going to make any recommendations, but what uses do you expect for it? Electronics troubleshooting? Automotive? Household wiring? HVAC? A number of meters are slightly specialized towards different primary uses. And if it might get used to test voltages at a dryer or heavy appliance outlet, or in a circuit breaker panel, I would personally only ever use a CAT III or better rated meter from an established name brand. Given the nature of arc flash injuries, I want something that has a decent chance of minimizing its contribution to any problem if something happens.

I know its a little more than you’d like to spend, here is one on Craigslist just a little over your budget(no association). It will more than likely will do probably more than you need. Just keep in mind to pull the batteries when you aren’t using it.

Also consider Fluke 107, its very compact. I thought HD used to carry these but I don’t see Fluke on their website anymore.

Fluke 100 series

I just need the basic functions, such and AC and DC voltage checking, ohms, and continuity checking. I can borrow a high-quality meter if I have a specific task that this one won’t handle.

Fluke 101 is the most basic model

1 Like

ELab has Fluke 115s. Basic entry model that can measure current. Last time I checked new price was $180 - $225. You can probably find one on Craigslist, ebay, etc.for half or less. Might check local pawn shops. Well built and auto-ranges. Take reasonably good care of it and will probably be last one you need to buy.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll look for that model. I don’t mind buying used :slight_smile:

Having attended many electronic meetings at DMS, I considered a Fluke for a long time when my Radio Shack Multimeter died.

I finally got a multimeter from Amazon, an AstroAI True RMS 6000 Count Digital Mutimeter. I have been quite happy with it. It is durable, pretty accurate and has a lot of functions. It is much better than the Radio Shack multimeter.

I see the current price is $33.99.

@amacha I will look at this for my son’s Christmas present.

He doesn’t need an expensive meter but having something to check voltages, etc. would be useful since he doesn’t have anything right now.

Thanks!

–Thurman–

You can get a nice, high end brand multimeter with patience and periodic checking on FBMP, CL, and OfferUp.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/d2ad533c-136d-305f-bae9-c5557c9a9dd1?q=multimeter

1 Like

I contacted the guy in your Offerup link and he is the same guy from the Craigslist link on the Fluke 179. I contacted him and bought a 179. I liked that it was USA made and has a lifetime warranty, as opposed to the new, low-end Flukes. Except for the fact that he almost lives in Oklahoma, it was an easy transaction.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Just buy a Fluke 101 or 107 and don’t look back. This is a decent deal.

1 Like