Rear axle bearings, axle, and seals etc

A few pics of the current project - not necessarily in order:

For those not familiar with rear wheel drive these photos will give you and idea of what lurks behind the wheel and tire on the typical pickup truck (also covers those rare rear wheel drive American cars still on the road)…

Brake rotor / disc above

Brake rotor removed - axle pulled part way out - This shows a set of small brake shoes that are used for the parking brake.

Cover removed from the differential - the axles are retained by thick ‘U’ shaped c-clips.

Non shiny area is caused by bearing failure - should be smooth and shiny. This means the axle must be replaced.

New axle next to old axle. (new axle came in today- correct axle I should say). Photo also shows “aftermarket” differential cover that has a screw in magnetic dipstick which also acts a fill port. This cover doubles the capacity of gear oil needed, also has a large magnetic drain plug and tapped/plugged ports for accessory indicators.

New bearing and seal installed.

Will clean up the oil residue before inserting the axle.

7 Likes

Is this your own truck?

I did this on my dad’s 2002 F150 at about 180k on the odometer. It’s made it to 290k.

I HATE the smell of gear oil.

2 Likes

Yes.
This too was easier than planned

Not a fan of that aroma either Matt!
Not a fan of brake fluid on my skin either - but the worst is having gasoline run down the arm into the pit on a hot day…not a good feeling at all

1 Like

Tsk tsk. How’d you let it get like that, eh?
:wink:

:thumbsup:

Hm. We’ll have to agree to disagree there. As long as I can keep it out of my hair, it’s all good. Gear oil smell means we’re doing something interesting… :slight_smile:

Gotta say, I thought gasoline burning the armpit was the worst, but I managed to one up that one day by getting ethylene glycol in my mouth. Nothing like wondering if you’ve ingested enough to eff you up…

This was on the “to do list” but then I moved a piece of equipment that was a little overweight for my trailer… and that action caused the right seal to let go…

Fortunately in this case even with a new axle, two bearings and two seals and 5 litres of synthetic gear oil and the additive for the limited slip it was less than $300.00

Procrastination doesn’t pay.

1 Like

No thanks! That smell is not a fav either

1 Like

You know whats better than gear oil? Those little bottles of Friction Modifiers for LSD’s. I swear I can still smell that shit from a truck I sold 10 years ago.

2 Likes

Gear oil smells. But I’ve also had degreaser go down my crack. Also had purple pvc primer in my eye. Both of those sucked royally. Brake fluid in your hair sucks too but it doesn’t burn. Lol

2 Likes

There are easier ways to clear your pipes, you know…

3 Likes

For our audience, what are the symptoms of this failure? Noise? Gear oil leakage?

My dad’s truck was grinding. Didn’t notice leakage, but I’m not sure that truck has been clean enough to tell since it rolled off the lot…

1 Like

Usually you hear a noise when it is a bearing - similar to the sound a cupped tire makes. It is a constant rumble. My ties were not cupped, and the noise wasn’t coming from the front.

Leaks don’t always appear. ( In case a major leak started on my right rear axle at the wheel.) Residual fluid is often found on the bottom of many differentials that (unfortunately) use and RTV like sealant instead of a real gasket.

Bearings wear out - usually from time in service / mileage etc, and towing has an effect as well.

Differentials are one of those many things on a truck that often go forever without a fluid change until something more expensive or catastrophic happens.

I had been doing fuid changes, but I tow a trailer quite often and heard the noise…I just delayed it and spent an extra $107 for an axle.

2 Likes

Dad tells a story of the time he took his car to the shop for a check before a trip.

During that journey, a loud whining noise started coming from the rear end. It turned out the mechanic checked the fluid level in the rear end and did not put the plug back. Eventually, the spinning differential flung enough of the grease out through that hole to run dry.

I think that was when he replaced his Buick Special with a Pontiac Super Chief. For those of you who know car names, this was a long time ago.

1 Like

Tom, if you are going to junk the old axle, I would be interested in it for use in blacksmithing (assuming it’s not too late).

3 Likes

Mike, I may have an old axle or two if you would like them.

1 Like

Hank, you’re welcome to the axle!
I’ll be up at the space on misc nights this week.
Is there somewhere I can leave it for you?

If by chance you are in the Lewisville area I can meet you sometime with it.

Bill,
I’m not familiar with the detroit iron, but the Pontiac Super Chief rings a bell - I stopped near Hillsboro to refuel and stretch on a trip from San Antonio and saw an old REO truck in a low fenced lot near the gas station, there was a 1954 Chieftain in the lot along with other relics. The guy selling them was purging his older odds and ends.

1 Like

In retrospect - if I was positive the parts I had were correct the first time - I would have done this at the Space, and removed the rear backing plates and caliper mounts and media blasted/coated them before putting everything back together.

1 Like