Really? This is not acceptable

Came into the woodshop this afternoon – the Felder bags were overflowing with sawdust, and sawdust had backed up into the filter area. In fact so much sawdust came out of the filter area that it ended up filling a garbage can. It doesn’t look like that much in the photo - but it was!!

And I emptied the Felder 18 hours earlier!!!

It was almost all cedar sawdust. Apparently, someone jointed, planed and trimmed about 100 board feet of cedar and failed to check/clean out the felder bags. Who processes 100 board feet of wood and doesn’t check/empty the felder?

Of course there many explanation as to how this could happen:

• A death in the family or a medical emergency that required this person to leave suddenly (but a quick post on talk to explain the situation and ask for help would have been nice, I’m always willing to help a person in need).
  • Insufficient training – the wood shop class may not have covered “The Felder needs to be checked and emptied after processing a lot of wood”
  • Forgot their training or
  • Just forgot to do it
  • Is not an excellent member

In any event it’s not cool to burden other members to clean up this kind of mess – I’m tired of cleaning up after others.

5 Likes

I certainly appreciate you taking care of it for us at the very least!

1 Like

Soooooooo sorry. That was me with the cedar!!! And it is very unacceptable. My apologies and it won’t happen again. Thanks for clearing that out. And again, my bad I should have cleaned it out before I left. :cry: it was super late when I left and I just didn’t think to check or empty it.

17 Likes

Thank you for coming forward! If you want to make it up, please pay it forward for the next person, or come help out during one of the maintenance days. The Felder always needs some love.

8 Likes

Of course, I am always willing to help out. Just let me know when maintenance days are.

4 Likes

Totally know your pain @dwolf. Thanks for cleaning it up and honestly try not to take it as an affront as that is likely not the intent.

@Sandra_Hill, thanks for coming forward. Please don’t wait for someone to approach you and tell you a maintenance day is going to happen. Because that just won’t happen. Instead, if I could impose on you a bit. Make a photo post on the forum of cleaning out the Felder highlighting the process. That way you not only help the space but also bring more attention to the need to clean the Felder out. Dropping a thanks to dwolf on that thread wouldn’t hurt either.

2 Likes

I’m not a member at the moment, but I plan to rejoin soon. I don’t remember all the details about the Felder.

Is there any where with the information written out. I tend to learn better that way, and it would be nice to have a reference to fall back on when in the woodshop.

3 Likes

So glad you asked!
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Felder_RL350

2 Likes

What are your trying to learn about the Felder?
Like how to turn it on and off and basic controls?

Or are a evil genius intent on ruling the wolrd?

Thanks, I seem to always struggle to find what I need on the wiki.

1 Like

Uhhh, will start with the ability to be responsible and clean up after myself and then go from there.

1 Like