RDWorks or LightBurn?

Been a while since I used a laser. Need to do some work and need to know if we are still using RDWorks or have we completely changed over to LightBurn? If the latter, who is the DMS contact to get a “Student” license for LightBurn???

Both are still on the computers. I would suggest using lightburn since it is a much easier program to work with and works better.
I haven’t heard of any student licenses, so I don’t think those are available anymore.

1 Like

Our discount for Lightburn has expired. I do not know if anyone has requested it be renewed.

So am I following that Lightburn is now preferred over RDWorks, and is on the machines in DMS

But I don’t see Lightburn on the Remote Desktops, is that correct? And it is such that I can’t download it at home w/out a paid license.

Asking because I JUST put up a class on how to create a file on RDWorks but if that technology is outdated I guess I should consider using Lightburn. But the class is remote so if I can’t get to Lightburn on the remote desktop and can’t download it for free then I probably will have to cancel the class since there is no sense to teach old technology.

I personally still teach RDWorks because of the free download aspect. Sure it’s not the best, but so far all of my students have picked it up well. And I’m definitely not paying $80 for laser software unless I absolutely have to.

1 Like

You can get a trial of light burn that is completely unrestricted for one month. The grbl version of lightburn is $40. It’s way better than RDworks and if you plan on doing a lot of projects on the laser it is 100% worth it, also the space should be adding some of the other features of lightburn like the camera feature.

If you’re not a heavy laser user, I probably wouldn’t worry about trying to get your own copy of lightburn software.

1 Like