RDWorks on Creative Arts Computers?

Hi,

I think it would be really helpful to have RDWorks on the Creative Arts workstations. I’ve found some pretty major issues when going from Inkscape to AI to RDWorks and I think it would make it a lot easier to diagnose if RDWorks was on those computers. To the best of my knowledge, it’s only on the laser dedicated machines and it would be helpful if I could check my design offline.

What do you think @missydee1206?

RD Works is on the jump drive. You can use Remote Desktop Connection on the computers in Creative Arts (or any laptop, etc), it should already have the address PHYSICAL.DALLASMAKERPSACE.ORG as the connection. Then just enter your usual log in details and it’ll be on the desktop.

Give it a try, hope it helps

3 Likes

I like to check my design in RDWorks before I drive to DMS. Inkscape and RDWorks are open source and I have them on my laptop but they are not compatible. The laser class suggests converting with Adobe Illustrator but I do not have that. I found a suggestion to have Inkscape save the file in Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) and convert to dxf with open source program psttoedit. I know very little about it since the suggested command line has worked successfully every time I have used it. I use the following command line on Linux but it also runs on Windows.

pstoedit -dt -f “dxf_s: -mm” test4.eps test4.dxf

Also, is Adobe Illustrator on the jump drive?

2 Likes

Nope, licensing doesn’t allow it to be on there

2 Likes

Great tip. I’ve tried an Inkscape dxf export plugin (better better dxf export) which did nothing but throw a bunch of errors. I’ll have to try that out.

1 Like

I wish I had posted this as a Laser topic where it would have gotten more attention. If you have success, I encourage you to post a new Laser topic. It is nice to be able to go to the space with a .rld file ready to run. Good Luck!

fyi @heyheymama

1 Like

It can be moved to the Laser section. By editing the title you can change the area that it is posted in. If you can’t edit the topic title, then just ask, and someone who can will get it taken care of.

1 Like

Thanks! This is not my topic so I don’t care to change it. I have planned to try out the Windows version which will be of interest to more people. Within a few days I will start a posting on this or add my thoughts if @HoarseHorace has started one.

1 Like

I intend on leaving this topic here, as the initial question is for getting RDWorks on the Creative Arts computers. It looks like the jump drive will work well enough and it’s my understanding that there are 2-3 computers going in the common room that will have everything.

2 Likes

So, in my mucking about, I somehow missed that Inkscape does have a DXF exporter and seems to work just fine. Opening the svg in AI and exporting as a ai file gave me some strange scale errors. Inkskape DXF worked like a charm when set to mm units.

1 Like