RC Planes and Drones - Need help building them

I am interested in building RC planes and Drones. For now, I want to develop them as hobby and see if I can innovate something on them later.

Can some help me in getting all the pieces together, like to know the eco system, any frameworks etc…
I would like to start with Drone Kits like these
https://www.amazon.com/LHI-Carbon-Quadcopter-Controller-Propeller/dp/B00YACIDNU/ref=br_lf_m_brcr5royscst897_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=toys-and-games

or any other better way.

I am also interested in building RC Planes. Even that could be a good start if some one can help me.

I am a AMA member and looking forward to join local RC club.

I’d look at the Pixhawk. It’s open hardware and open software and works with many different configurations (rovers, multi-rotors, helicopters, planes). The community of users/developers is very large and very active. The flight controller is a big part of any drone so don’t skimp there.

https://store.3dr.com/products/3dr-pixhawk
http://ardupilot.org/copter/

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the info.But I have not yet built any drones nor know how to start. Once i build the basic, I would definitely add the auto pilot.

You can’t build one without a flight controller. It’s an integrated part of the system. So get a good one is my advice.

1 Like

Yes, I would have to piece together lot of things including flight controller, Transmitter/Receiver, servos etc… I need an helping hand who can walk me through the process.

This is a fairly good guide to get a feel for what’s out there.

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/build-your-own-multicopter.html

1 Like

A popular R/C system is the FrSky Taranis X9D Plus. Lots of channels, expandable, open source firmware.

The “Pixhawk” is one brand of an open-source flight controller generically called Px4. There are several versions out there - ArduPilot, HKPilot32 (from HobbyKing), etc. You can add GPS and telemetry radios to program autonomous missions and/or control your drone it from a PC or tablet.

There’s a Reddit group - reddit.com/r/diydrones - where you can pick up a lot of info.

Does this R/C system - FrSky Taranis X9D Plus - reusable to build RC planes.
I have been looking around for some time and much of the famous models use Spectrum DMX based R/C system. I know they are way costlier than the one that you suggested. But trying to understand would I loose any of the functionality.
I mean how do you know that a particular system is good enough?

On the club topic there are some good facebook clubs you should join. For rc planes there is one called “DWF rc flyers” and another one called “Dallas Fpv wing club”. And for drones there is one called “NE Dallas Speed Addicts - FPV Racing”. What help do you need for parts? Do you have a radio system? There is a good website/ youtube channel called flitetest they sell electronics kits rc airplanes the good part is that the airplanes have free pdf plans that can be used on our lasers so you can make rc planes for under $5 not including electronics.

Any radio like taranis or spektrum can be used for rc planes or drones. Spektrum are more expensive but are easer to use but the taranis is more ban for your buck and if you know how to use it more versatile with more features.

1 Like

For picking parts you first need a brushless motor/motors which range on size depending on what you build, next you need for every motor the esc size(amps) depends on your motor size, prop size, and battery, size for a racing drone 20a should be good and for a plane 40a but those are just estaminets. You also need a receiver which depends on your radio system. If you are building a drone you will need a flight controller which I dont know much about. If you are building a plane you will need servos which 9 grams are what I use because they are cheap. You will also need a lipo battery there two things to consider, the cell count effects the power it has most racing drones/planes use 4s(4 cells), but most park flyer planes use 3s. Like I said look at flitetest they have a website and youtube channel. For parts look at hobbyking.

Thanks for the pointers. Could you help me with the list of components that would go to build some thing like this
I have to learn to fly, so I am not going to go big on RC plan yet. If the model can use the same FrSky Taranis X9D Plus system, I could use it for drone too.

Taranis can be used to control airplanes, helis, multicopters, boats, cars, yes.

The particular model you linked is a “BNF” which is shorthand for “bind-n-fly.” You need a compatible transmitter to “bind” to the model.

All you need to fly the Apprentice S 15e right away is a DSMX compatible transmitter like the Spektrum™ DX6.

Horizon Hobbies is geared to steer you towards Spektrum radios - they’re the same company I believe. Not sure what is involved in using another brand of Tx.

I meant to build some thing similar to that model. Yeah Spektrum tx are on the higher side of price.
So if I want to build a similar one, what would I need?

I found this UAVfuture but there is so much of soldering.
Is there a similar kit with say just the banana clips. Or can some one help me in soldering these at the DMS?

You might be able to get an ARF plane (Almost Ready to Fly) that has most of the work done. You supply your own R/C gear - Tx, Rx, and servos, and you may need to supply a battery.

Ready to Fly vs Almost Ready to Fly vs Bind-n-fly etc:

I’m a big fan of the goofballs at Flite Test. They have an R/C beginners series - here’s episode 1:

Check out their youtube channel - they have a lot of information. They have lots of project planes built from Dollar Store Foam Board, including a series where you build a “power module” that has the motor and prop and electronics in it, and you can move it easily from one plane to another.

And they have a wealth of info on multi-rotors too.

1 Like

The problem with the Flite Test team is they are either sponsored or affiliates of Horizon hobby shop.
I agree, they have wealth of information, but I blv they are more of test team. But let me go through all their videos.
I see that couple of months back DMS members were talking about a class. Could we have another one?

To choose electronics you first need to choose a plane the flitetest tiny trainer is a great one and it uses relatively cheap electronics. If you dont like the building idea and want to get one that is already build it will most likely come with the electronics. For a beginner I would definitely recommend a flitetest plane because they cost almost nothing if you cut them out on the laser and are very reparable. Also you can reuse the electronics meaning you buy the electronics once but if you crash you take the electronics out and put them in a new plane that cost nothing.

If you want a kit that all works together with no solder look at flitetest power packs they are a bag of all compatible electronics and they are based around their planes so if you build one of their planes one of their kits will work perfectly. Their drone kits do require soldering but not the plane ones. https://store.flitetest.com/complete-power-pack-kits/

1 Like