RC Car Paint Job

So if you saw me at the space today, you probably saw me showing off my RC Car Body. This is my first attempt at painting a car body and it isn’t perfect but it does look good from 4 feet away. :smile:

5 Likes

Great classic flame job, I am sure I wouldn’t be able to do anything close to that.

2 Likes

Now that looks like a great paint job!

2 Likes

Mine usually were just candy apple red. That looks great. Maybe you should have a class.

2 Likes

That is a great idea @Lampy. It was really difficult to find information on all the different paints and processes. I think I’ll put something together to teach others how to do it easily.

2 Likes

Forgot to add the reason mine were one color 1) because I lacked the skills and 2) didn’t know anyone that bothered to find out how. Including a one well known Mike that used to own a hobby shop near the space.

1 Like

@Nick ,

If I get a clear Mustang GT Coupe body, can you put this paint job on it?

1 Like

With your help, I’m sure we could do that.

1 Like

Interesting…so you masked the clear, sprayed the black, unmasked, then sprayed the orange.

I love the 4-4-2. You did not show the back…I can probably identify the year from the tail lights…

I believe it was a 69

My Cutlass decoder ring:

The 69 has a single vertically oriented tail light lens on each end of the bumper; the 70 has two.

The 71 has two horizontally oriented lenses on each end; the 72 is like the 71 except each lens is divided into three parts.

The 68 has two narrow horizontal lenses arranged end-to-end on each side.

Other model years have drastically different body styles.

it has the single verticle tail lights.
Here is an even better painted on by someone else:

1 Like

I like yours better…

1 Like

Concur with Bill, great job. Nothing beats flames … well maybe not the ones on the Pacer in Wayne’s World. Well, maybe not my '99 RAV4, Blue Icicles would be more appropriate.

1 Like

Thanks guys,
My issues where in the details of the grill and lights. but it was a really fun project to paint one of these bodies. If I get the energy to build a mold that we can for bodies on, I’ll teach a class on painting them. The honorarium should cover the paint expenses for a few colors. Also, if you know of polycarbonite paints that come in larger cheaper bottles, I’m interested.

I bought some Deco Foil ( http://thermoweb.com/decofoil/foils.html ) when Michael’s was clearing it out last year. It is meant for scrapbooking and other paper crafts.

They sell a water-based glue to be applied where the foil is desired. After it has dried, place the foil (with plastic backing sheet) over the area and burnish. The foil sticks only where there is glue.

I was going to try finding a glue which would work on a impermeable surface, starting with contact cement.

I’ll bring some in case you want to be a guinea pig…

I just painted it by hand with silver paint, my inability to stay within the lines is what I believe was my issue. :smile:
I think if I could paint the body with a non-solvent based paint it would be easy to clean up my mistakes. but you have to have a solvent for polycarbonate to take paint. So i think the trick will be finesse and that I’m lacking in.

Take it over to Creative Arts and cash in a favor or two…

So, it is leafing. Same thing as gold leafing just with a different leaf material.