Raspberry Pi 4 released, boasting impressive specs

• A 1.5GHz quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A72 CPU ( ~3 × performance )
  • 1GB ($35), 2GB ($45), or 4GB ($55) of LPDDR4 SDRAM
  • Full-throughput Gigabit Ethernet
  • Dual-band 802.11ac wireless networking
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • Two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports
  • Dual monitor support , at resolutions up to 4K
  • VideoCore VI graphics, supporting OpenGL ES 3.x
  • 4Kp60 hardware decode of HEVC video
  • Complete compatibility with earlier Raspberry Pi products
6 Likes

Ever have that moment of thinking you should buy a thing not knowing what it does because it looks like a good deal and you’re pretty sure you’ll find out one day? Welcome to my moment :joy:

2 Likes

Lotsa Pi’s get sold for that reason! reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi had to admonish users to not just post pics of “I bought a Pi!” boxes but to actually build something and post pics of that.

2 Likes

Do you know the definition of a BARGAIN?

“Something that you don’t need, at a price you can’t resist.”

The RPi3B+ is a marginally useful computer for light work and casual browsing. The new RPi4B looks like it will be an actually useful computer. The Ethernet is finally real instead of stubbed off of the USB controller, there are finally some USB 3.0 ports for useful speeds for USB connected drives. I’m not sure why they changed to dual screen and the fragile micro HDMI connectors. I am very happy that they finally ditched the microUSB as a power connector in favor of USB C (5v 3a).

5 Likes

When will our friends at Tanner be stocking these? Can’t wait to get my hands on 3 of these… My 2 boys keep “borrowing” my RPi3s so They each get their own… :wink:

Casual browsing like a smart phone circa 2004.

Give it a year. I checked yesterday and 3 out of the 4 distributors were out of stock of all models and the 4th only had them in bundles with kb/mouse/ps etc.

Looks like Microcenter has the 1 gb & 2gb in stock now.

4 Likes

Microcenter on 75 has 1G ($35) and 2G ($45) Raspberry Pi 4B’s in stock, with more, including 4G ($55), coming on the Friday truck. They have plenty of the USB C power supplies ($9.99) as well. They are out of stock of the microHDMI-M to HDMI-F adapters ($14.99).

4 Likes

Looks killer!

These things aren’t just a revolution, they’re evolution. I’m on an RPi3B here/now. Tonight I have been “remote” logged onto the Jump Server, running Fusion 360 and Dassault Solidworks effortlessly. It’s about 4X as fast as my MacBook Pro w/ NVidia card accelerator and 8GB RAM.

Whoever built the Jump Server, with 48GB RAM, and 20 virtual Xeon processors, is a total wizard. The fact that I can run it remote on a $38 computer, is the future.

3 Likes

I’m curious if this would be a good option for setting up a home firewall.

I bought a Kickstarter thing called RasPad, a “easy as Pi” tablet kit. (https://www.raspad.com/) Everything lines up to plug right into the 3B+. Now I’m gonna get to open 'er up and see about making a Pi 4 fit inside. Once I can find a 4GB version in stock…

You’re welcome. :mage:‍♂

9 Likes

I have one of the RasPad kits as well. Remember that they changed the video connection from a regular HDMI to two smaller HDMI connectors, changed the power port from the micro-USB to USB-C and swapped the positions of the network and USB ports around. I would like to be able to upgrade my RasPad to support the new model but I am not sure if I can due to the changes.

One thing I run at home is a Pi-Hole for ad blocking and some bad website filtering. Great use of a Raspberry Pi for something practical. https://pi-hole.net

Yeah, it’s gonna be a surgical project for sure. Might end up taking it apart and printing a new case. In all the spare time I have. :rofl:

Russell, what software are you using to connect to the the RDP server? Which OS are you running on your Pi?

May not matter these days for most things but is that Processor an Arm Hardfloat or Softfloat?

@jswilson64 fixed your link. It was missing a ‘b’.

1 Like

“Russell, what software are you using to connect to the the RDP server? Which OS are you running on your Pi?”

This Rpi3B is running on Raspbian, using Remmina to remote desktop, over a Spectrum broadband cable link. With HP monitor and keyboard, and a Logitech mouse, my machine weighs in at about $100.

My GF bought an iMac Pro with 8 virtual CPUs, 32GB RAM, Rampage video upgrade, for about $6500. It’s a beautiful machine, with vast overkill, and runs like my Rpi3B on the Jump Server…

2 Likes

I’m curious if this would be a good option for setting up a home firewall.

Yep! Here is one how-to you will find a bunch more on the inter-webs