Radio Controlled Car Racing - Available by RSVP only - Saturdays @6pm

Hey Guys, if any of you are free today at 7:00 pm there will be a “brainstorming meeting” about R/C Car racing at DMS. It will be in the conference room next door to the Audio/Visual Room. Please come to the meeting if you can.

It’s listed on the events calendar as “North Texas On-Road Racers - Brainstorm Meeting”.

I have posted a parking lot race event for this Saturday, April 25, at 1:00pm. It is waiting for approval before it shows up on the calendar. Here’s the description:

This event is a first attempt to have an informal R/C car race in the back parking lot. This is a “Run What You Brung” type of race, so if you have anything R/C that has 4 wheels (or 2 wheels), bring it! The more the merrier! I plan to set up a very simple oval track with a straight piece of PVC in the middle and some cones to mark off the corners of the track. Bring your R/C vehicle and drive it around the oval. Simple and fun.

Well…if anyone wants another brain to pick, my entire childhood was raised in R.C. car racing. My family’s business, Norm’s R.C. Hobbies, was Mike’s biggest competitor before they closed up. I participated in running all the big events back in the day. The only thing I have anymore, though, is my little Losi Micro-T.

2 Likes

That’s great amp1276! Please come to Saturday’s event and bring your Losi Micro-T. Randy Novak and I would love to pick your brain about R/C Car Racing.

1 Like

Guys, I created a new Facebook Group called “DFW R/C Car Racing Just-for-Fun (Carrollton)”. Please click on the link below and join the Group if you have any interest in R/C Car Racing in the parking lot.

2 Likes

The first parking lot meeting will be tomorrow, April 25, starting at 11 am through 4 pm. Since this is our first R/C Car racing meeting, it will be more of a “Meet & Greet” type of event. So several people are showing up just to say “hello” and they are not bringing their R/C cars. I am bringing 2 R/C cars and I know of 2 other members who are bringing their cars, so we can put on a demonstration in the parking lot. It will be a fun event.

Rain or shine, I will be there tomorrow. Also if you have a folding chair at home, please bring it with you.

Thanks to those who made it out to the parking lot race last Saturday. We had a great first meeting! There were a couple guys who brought their Traxxas Slashes and we had a blast driving together in the parking lot. Randy Novak also brought his 2WD buggy and he was able to get around the track faster than the Short Course Trucks. It was a great time all around and everybody had a big smile on their face! I hope to see all you guys next Saturday, May 2, 11am for another fun race.

I am teaching a class on R/C Vehicles on Friday, May 8, at 7:00 pm in the Lecture Room at DMS. Here’s more info about the upcoming class:

Event Title: Introduction to R/C Surface Vehicles
Start Time: 7:00 PM on Friday May 8
End Time: 8:30 PM on Friday May 8
Event Description: This class will introduce the attendees to R/C (radio-controlled) Surface Vehicles. Attendees will learn about the types of radio controlled vehicles, safety rules, batteries, chargers, radio frequencies, and how to operate RC cars, trucks, motorcycles, or anything R/C that has tires touching the ground. Each attendee will receive a printed booklet that contains a glossary that defines the common terms used to describe the ins and outs of R/C vehicles and what they’re about.

2 Likes

If you are considering going to the Introduction to R/C Surface Vehicles class on May 8, please click on the ‘RSVP’ button in the Meetup.com event page for the class. Here’s the link: http://www.meetup.com/dallasmakerspace/events/222174259/

How many DMS members would be interested in RC Drifting? Last Sunday I met a group of hobbyists that take a portable drift course (see pic below) around the DFW area and put on demonstrations. If there’s enough interest, I could ask them to put on a demo at DMS.

2 Likes

I am trying to get a head count for how many people will show up for next Saturday’s Parking Lot Race/Meeting. If you plan on going please click here and add your name to the RSVP list. Thank you.

1 Like

I talked to Mike about doing a coop but the timing never worked out.

1 Like

Mike Darnell was at DMS two weeks ago during the “North Texas On-road Racers - Brainstorm Meeting.” He said that he is still looking for property to buy. I plan to keep Mike in the loop with the DMS R/C Racing Interest Group. Who knows, if the R/C group gets large enough at DMS, we could convince Mike to “buy in” and open up a shop across the parking lot from DMS.

The weather is perfect all through this weekend! Saturday will be a perfect day to race some cars in the parking lot. I hope to see some new faces at Saturday’s Parking Lot Race.

Sorry guys, I couldn’t make it Saturday. My wife was actually off of work for once and we had “family day”. She would buy into the idea of a family that races together stays together. So I should be around next Saturday (May 9th). I’ll be bringing my VTA Xray and drifter/beater TC4, maybe even the nitro Ofna buggy. See ya then!

1 Like

I have received some very good feedback from R/C folks wanting to come out to Saturday’s races. The best suggestion is to have the parking lot race start after sunset. Outdoor temperatures will be much lower and more people are available to come race in the evening versus mid-day. So I am changing all Saturday Race Event times to 6:00 pm through 11:00 pm. Here’s the new banner…

2 Likes

Just as a FYI, we do have two 10’ by 10’ pop up awnings that could be set up if there was any need/desire for them…

Side question… Would there be any objection to some small quads flying around to get video footage of the races? I only have a little Hubsan 107c, but it can still produce some decent video, and is small enough that the cars would just run it over if it crashed.

3 Likes

No objections to small quads flying around to get video footage. That video would be a great recruiting tool for us to get even more cars involved.

1 Like

Great news for anybody attending the parking lot race next Saturday, May 9. There will be a “B-Y-O-Beef Tailgate Extravaganza” event going on in the parking lot. Here are more details:

When: Sat, May 9, 6pm – 7pm

Host: Matt and Allen

Eating, Cooking, Cleaning, making and not particularly in that order. We will have burgers and the associated accessories, but if all you cooking connoisseurs wish to bring you own creations, they will be gladly accepted (with the implication of sharing). These creations to which I speak of could include drinks, sides, or even more meat. Prep time starts at 4:00 pm and the eating festivities starts at 6:00 pm. Otherwise, come and enjoy moderately good food with exceptional people.

3 Likes