Radio Controlled Car Racing - Available by RSVP only - Saturdays @6pm

As expected, we had a small turnout of racers last Saturday. Only four people showed up to race, but it was still a blast!

Fellow DMS member, Jason Reedy, brought his Honda Power Washer and 500 feet of commercial hose so that we could power wash the entire back parking lot. It took over 3 hours of work, but when it was done the parking lot looked better than when we first started racing on it back in April.

5 Likes

Nice work @David_Walker,
Big pat on the back for sticking with RC racing threw the high heat. Iā€™ll see you next week with my tc car ready to run.

1 Like

WSJ Article: ā€œRadio-Control Cars: How the Pros Race
These rides can be more than just toysā€

http://www.wsj.com/articles/radio-control-cars-how-the-pros-race-1439305573?tesla=y

1 Like

Thanks for the article. I have met Adam Drake when he visited the Indy RC World in Garland, TX. Adam is definitely a great guy in the RC world.

Hereā€™s a video of Adam Drake explaining the difference between wings made out of different materials.

No problem, Iā€™m not an RC guy, but appreciate the work that goes into the cars. You donā€™t normally think of the WSJ as having articles on RCā€™s - figured some of yā€™all would enjoy it.
David
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
Greek Proverb

1 Like

I want to remind the guys who signed up a bought TD10 car kits: @themitch22, @urbite, John Ladner, Jason Reedy and Chris Fisher; the 1st session of the RC Car Build Workshop is this Saturday, Aug. 15, 1PM - 3PM. The TD10 car kits have arrived from HobbyKing and we will open them up on Saturday.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/uploads/default/original/2X/1/132bd0a8575592b8edf33ef2d4c97a2a861141be.png

1 Like

Donā€™t forget that we are racing in the back parking lot this next Saturday. The track will be setup and ready for practice at 5 pm, check-in and registration opens at 6 pm, Driverā€™s Meeting at 7 pm and racing starts at 7:30 pm.

The first session of the ā€œBuild a R/C Car on a Budget Workshopā€ was a success today. Hereā€™s a pic of Mitch Cerroniā€™s TD10 car kit before he finished step #1 - Building the front and rear differentials. @themitch22

1 Like

Just want to remind to everyone that we are racing in the parking lot this next Saturday, 8/29, from 7 PM to 10 PM. Please arrive early for the Driverā€™s Meeting will be at 6:30 PM.

1 Like

I also want to remind those members who are building a TD10 car kit: @themitch22, @urbite, Joe Barone, and Jason Reedy; the 3rd session of the workshop will start at 1 PM on Saturday in the Interactive Classroom.

1 Like

I want to invite anybody who has a Remote-Controlled Vehicle of any kind (cars, trucks, motorcycles, airplanes, helicopters, quads, drones, etc.) to bring their RC vehicle to the Dallas Makerspace Open House Event on Saturday, Sept. 12, from 11 AM to 7 PM. The newly designated ā€˜RC Hobby Committeeā€™ will have an exhibit (aka. racetrack) setup in the north-half of the back parking lot at DMS. Please bring all your RC vehicles out.

2 Likes

I want to thank Robert Bremer and Jason Reedy for bringing their 2 RC cars out to the DMS Open House Event last Saturday.

1 Like

Due to the very low numbers of racers showing up on Saturday evenings, I am making a big change to the way we operate the parking lot racetrack.

Starting this next Saturday (9/19), the racetrack at DMS will only be setup and built if there are at least 4 people who sign up and commit to showing up for the race. A Facebook event will be posted prior to each Saturday. Please RSVP as ā€œGoingā€ to the event if you want to have a race. So if less than 4 people RSVP by Friday night (before the event), then the event will be cancelled.

Here is the link for the next Facebook event for Saturday, 9/19,

Please RSVP if you want to race next Saturday.

Ok. Now this idea has ā€œDallas Makerspaceā€ written all over itā€¦

Who wants to build one?

3 Likes

Its body looks laser-cut, especially the ribs.

It would have been nice if they had explained its construction or design a little (just a little) bit.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a short article about ā€˜Woodyā€™ the RC car.

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2015/09/14/this-rc-car-grew-on-a-tree-video/

2 Likes

I love the radio transmitter designā€¦

3 Likes

well, I DID suggest R/C for the go kart projectā€¦
:smiley:

2 Likes

I miss the days when BATTLEBOTS was on TVā€¦

http://youtu.be/pHo5CiPmPZM

1 Like