Radio Controlled Car Racing - Available by RSVP only - Saturdays @6pm

Actually the slowest part on the current setup is taping all the gutter pieces together so they don’t come apart when cars hit them. Also moving the large galvanized steel pieces in place takes a lot of time.

Yeah, taping is a pain. Moving the galvanized doesn’t take long, but it does take multiple people. I’ve been pondering a better barrier for a while now and I think I’m stuck. I thought that 6 inch PVC pipe cut in half long ways would be a good solution, it is large, visible, can be stored outside and isn’t so heavy that you always need 2 people. But, I’m concerned about crashing into the edge and making nice looking curves. Hitting the barriers edge on has a super high likely hood of wrecking your day. So mitigating that would be awesome, especially for me as many of my racing outings end in needing to repair my car. But, this could also be perfect getting in the way of good enough.

Also, where do we find the money to do this? The board is in a spending freeze due to the fire marshal stuff, have we got any funds to spend?

Lighting is another issue I’m pondering. We have some from the building lights, but it isn’t perfect either.

1 Like

Are you wanting to keep the track “changeable”?
I was thinking something like having it strapped to sheets of [plywood or whatever can be scrounged up] for storage and transport. Then plunk it down, unstrap, so there are less pieces to join up each time.
Meh.
It was a half-baked idea anyway…

1 Like

Nick I have a $50 honorarium coming my way from a class I taught 2 weeks ago. From now on I will put down VECTOR as the sponsoring committee so the honorariums will be $100.

“The board is in a spending freeze due to the fire marshal stuff, have we got any funds to spend?”

That is not accurate there is no spending freeze.

Your biggest issue is storage as you really should not be storing anything outside.

Something I am currently working on is offsite storage for use by committees with the goal to increase the amount of member project space. You could likely store anything there but it will require driving to pick it up.

2 Likes

@Robert_Davidson
First, I’m glad we are not on a spending freeze, it felt like a spending freeze because of the fact that we tabled many of the item at the last board meeting due to the fire marshal report. I’ll make sure that we get an item on the agenda for the next meeting as the RC group is losing it’s loaned loop due to the starting of Banana Raceway.

Second, off site isn’t a good solution for race track parts, these are used most weeks and are bulky to move around. We are trying to figure out a solution that works well for everyone. I know the storage unit in the parking lot isn’t an option as dms has ask the landlord before for that. As we would be setting up and breaking down these parts weekly we should qualify for on site storage, more so than long term committee storage which I agree would have a better spot off site.

Thanks for piping in Robert, I appreciate your input on this.

1 Like

What “qualifies” you for on site storage? I am not opposed to onsite storage but I would talk with Logistics before stating something like that. How does the current track get to the space? Where is it currently stored? How much space will it take up? Can Ping Pong nets between posts (something that can be rolled up) be used?

4 Likes

@AlexRhodes , currently the track pieces (vinyl gutter tubes and galvanized steel beams) are stacked up in a spot against the outside wall of the back parking lot. On Saturdays we simply move the pieces from “the stack” to the racetrack area and tape all the pieces together. I also have a speaker PA system, a laptop PC and a folding table that I set up next to the track so we can run our timing system. I have been working with Allen Wan to maintain 2 personal project spaces where I can store the PA system, laptop and table during the week.

I like the idea of having something we can roll up to use as track barriers. This next Saturday we are going to try using some commercial-grade water hoses to make our track layout.

If you could store the pieces vertically, you can use the corner next to the dock door (with window into amateur radio). The plastic table that is currently filling that corner is not really a good use of that floor space anyway as its just a pile of random straps. Can remove that table and move the straps to an auto shelf, then maybe make something to help hold the track pieces vertically so they don’t fall on someone.

2 Likes

@AlexRhodes
I’m not sure if you meant for your post to be indignant, but that is how it read to me. To try any bring things to a calmer note, we are working with Allen and Logistics. I attend the Logistics meeting regularly and @David_Walker has as well. Allen is currently helping alot with the storage we are currently using. What makes the track parts special over much of the committee storage is usage. Much of the on site storage used by committees in the warehouse are for infrequently used items, while the race track, PA, laptop, and table are used most weeks. Thus, forcing it off site would place a large and consistent burden on the members that have to setup and maintain it. Less frequently used item moved off site would be a much smaller burden on members if moved off site. Also, my statement was that “we should qualify” for on site, not that “we do qualify.” The standards for qualifying for committee storage on site have not yet been set, this is on the horizon of the logistics committee, but I don’t know if it is solidly been decided yet. I hope this clears that up for you Alex.

As for Ping Pong nets being stretch, though the space saving would be grand, I’m not sure it would be a viable option. With the RC cars we need to balance between weight, rigidity, ease of setup, and maintenance. Currently the gutter down spouts are light, easy to layout, and flex enough to not damage the cars. But, the cars can push them around messing up the track and taping them together is a pain to setup and take a part. I think a net barrier would suffer much the same issues and would lose some of the rigidity which allows the rc cars to bump and keep moving.

Thanks for the idea, I hadn’t had that thought.

@Brandon_Green
I like that idea, that is under utilized space in that corner and would have access to the doors easily. I’ll see if the process we have been thinking about could be modified to fit that area easily, I’ll also mention it to Allen next I see him.

1 Like

I don’t know if this issue is because the RC interest group isn’t a committee or not, but it seems like they have enough participation to actually be a committee, so perhaps the group should formalize themselves as a committee.

I just wanted to make sure you had talked with Allen/Logistics as he has been working really hard to clean up storage at the space. Storage has quickly become a hot commodity at the space and I just want to make sure you talk to others before making your own rules about storage.

Also, Like @wanderson said the RC group is not a committee. I could see them combining with Aerospace and rename the committee, but that’s a different discussion.

As for the walls. Have you guys considered something that inflates, that you can tie down with sandbags?

1 Like

Hadn’t thought of inflatable track, but this would be amazing!!!
http://www.bouncehouses.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/mega_rally_big-01.jpg
@David_Walker this is beyond my talents, but might be a really cool idea???

1 Like

No we haven’t considered inflatable walls. There are too many sharp edges on the R/C cars that would tear into the inflatable material.

This next Saturday we are going to try some water hoses for the outside walls of the track.

Another great idea that does not cost too much, Cable Protectors! Randy Novak bought some 15-foot sections that we are going to try out on Saturday’s track design.

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/standard/en_GB/CB13930-40.jpg

Tomorrow’s weather is looking great for outdoor R/C racing. The high temp is 94°F and a low of 78°F with little to no chance of rain. I want to remind everybody who plans to race to please bring a table and chair with you (if you can) to setup your battery chargers/ pit space. There is electricity available for you to plug in your chargers, but DMS does not have tables to bring out. Also don’t forget that we have a $10 entry fee which will help offset the costs of track materials and maintenance.

Drone videos from Saturday:

That depends, of course, on the material. We are launching inflatable habitats into Earth orbit, where they are exposed to micrometeoroids. You probably don’t want to spend that much, but maybe something made of canvas, such as an inflatable bounce house, would work?

Been giving this some more thought, and God help me, I wish I could draw and/or use a CAD program because I’m sure this would be so easy to make a picture of…

I’m thinking about (3D printing, or choose your method) a (bunch of) 2-piece connector for the drain pipe, with a wingnut & bolt through the center, which, when loosened, would allow articulation through an arc of roughly 360 degrees. Idea being that you could swing these around so the drain pipes are stacked atop one another for storing, and then straighten them to 180 or other specific degree of choice during deployment. It doesn’t get you the nice arcs that hoses or the cable protectors seem to offer, but it seems like a decent idea in my head, making them easily stackable, and if you can slip the pipes in and out fairly easily, should retain a high degree of customisability.

Basically how this

works except instead of a pole in one side and a brush in the other, drain pipe in both sides.