Radio Controlled Car Racing - Available by RSVP only - Saturdays @6pm

Yeah, that would probably work. One minor issue might be dexterity required to take apart and re assemble. That all being said, we tried the cord protectors on Saturday and they worked very well. They were low enough profile to not get picked up by the cars, they would stay in place when hit, they didn’t damage the cars, and they were nicely visible to the racers. Well most racers, Randy always has issue, but I’m starting to think he is actually blind not just color blind. :smile: The only down side was that cars could easily cut corners with minor issues. However, we have other ways to police that like taking away laps on the computer system.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. wouldn’t of found the solution without the sounding board and creative thoughts.

Here’s a group photo of the guys who came out and raced on Saturday, July 18.

Close up pic of the cars that we’re racing.

We had a great night of racing last Saturday, July 25. We are making improvements to the racetrack layout and also purchased some halogen lights from Home Depot to illuminate the track better in the corners.

I am thinking about hosting a workshop at DMS called “Building an R/C Car on a Budget”. Previously, back on May 23, I tried to host a workshop on building R/C Cars where students would buy a Sakura XI Sport Car Kit for $120.00 and I would walk them through all the steps of building it. Unfortunately no students signed up.

Now my idea is to go with an even lower cost kit, the Turnigy TD10 Car Kit for $52.49, and hopefully get more interest in the workshop because of the lower cost. The plan is to kick off the workshop once there are at least 3 students who have purchased a TD10 kit. If anybody is interested in this workshop, please reply to this post or send me an email --> [email protected]

1 Like

So far I have 2 replies from potential students who want to build this low-cost R/C Car. Once I get 2 more replies I will put the order in to get 4 of these cars and I will cover the cost of shipping. That way each student only pays $52.49 for the kit. I will also supply the tools (screwdrivers, cutters, CA glue, etc.) needed to build this kit during the workshop sessions. I plan to hold the workshop sessions on Saturdays from 1pm to 3pm. As soon as we have enough students signed up, I will put the workshop on the events calendar.

2 Likes

What would you estimate all the electronics would cost to go from that kit to something driveable if you don’t already have anything?

1 Like

I am in the same boat for example the remote control

1 Like

Billions and billions…

Seriously, I don’t know what the minimum is, but from what I have seen there really is no upper limit…

1 Like

Click here to see the list --> https://www.facebook.com/download/preview/1624807724428755

This list has everything recommended to complete an R/C Car including:

• Turnigy TD10 Car Kit , $52.49
  • Radio Transmitter and Receiver 3-channel 2.4GHz , $34.01
  • Motor and ESC combo , $52.93
  • Steering Servo, Digital Super Fast Response , $23.55
  • 2-Cell Lipo Battery 5300mAh 7.4V , $30.07
  • IMAX B6 Lipo Battery Charger 5A 50W , $16.93
  • +12V DC Power Supply for the IMAX B6 Charger , $7.78
  • HPI Clear Car body of your choice, ranges from $15 to $26

So, you can get everything you need to start driving for $238.00.

2 Likes

Yes, there is no upper limit. But for the budget conscious people they can get everything they need to start racing for less than $300.00.

1 Like

I’ll be down to build a cheap chassis kit.

I could save a little by using my Spectrum DX5e from my quad copter and maybe vacuum form my own body to save some money.

1 Like

All right. Thanks Mitch. You are the 3rd person to “sign up” for the workshop. All I need is 1 more student to sign up and the workshop is on.

I need to find my old traxxas 4-tec and pull some stuff out of that.

1 Like

I now have 5 people who have responded and signed up for the Build an R/C Car on Budget Workshop.

1. Paul Urbanus
  2. John Ladner
  3. Mitch Cerroni
  4. Joe Barone
  5. Joseph Novak

I will send each of you a PayPal Invoice for $52.49 to buy the 5 kits, Whe I place the order I will pay the cost of international shipping ($54.00). It will take approximately 12 to 14 days for the kits to arrive once I place the order. So I plan to have the 1st session of the workshop on Saturday, August 15, 1pm to 3pm.

If your name is on the list above, please check your email account for an invoice from PayPal.

What do you guys think of this new idea from one of our DMS members? – Playing miniature soccer with R/C Cars.

We could do it as a side event along with car racing on Saturdays.

1 Like

All right, all 5 students have paid for their Turnigy TD10 car kits. I have placed the order with HobbyKing and we can expect the kits to arrive close to August 11. This means the “Build an R/C Car on a Budget” Workshop is on. I will schedule the 1st session of the workshop for Saturday, August 15, 1pm to 3pm.

If anybody else wants to participate in this workshop, please reply to this forum topic and I will send you information about the TD10 car kit we will build.

Thanks to Paul, John, Mitch, Joseph and Joe for responding quickly.

4 Likes

Here’s the link just in case anybody else wants to get a TD10 kit and participate in the workshop…

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/_25176__Turnigy_TD10_1_10_Belt_Driven_4WD_Touring_Car_KIT.html

@themitch22 , we need to meet and talk about 3D printing a small soccer ball and some small soccer goals for the R/C Soccer Match. This would be cool to have ready for the DMS Open House on Sept. 12.