Radio Controlled Car Racing - Available by RSVP only - Saturdays @6pm

I’m starting this new topic to see how many DMS members have any interest in racing R/C cars and/or trucks. I have been racing 1/10 scale electric-powered cars for over 5 years. I frequently raced at Mike’s Hobby Shop (now closed by TxDOT) which was only 3 miles north of DMS.

How many DMS members own a R/C car or truck?

3 Likes

Here is a pic with some of R/C cars that I raced over the last 3 years.

3 Likes

I’d be interested in that. I have some 1/10 cars and one 1/8 car but I could also use some pointers on how to maintain them (such as greasing wheels, removing debris and replacing motors/upgrading). I also need to look at getting better wheels and a better (read: universal) R/C remote.

-the purring dork

2 Likes

Hey David,

I was just thinking about the future of my VTA Xray. I haven’t raced in quite a long time… Here she is with less shoe goo holding the body together.

Joe

2 Likes

I am planning to teach a series of classes on R/C cars. We will cover topics like maintenance in those classes.

2 Likes

Hi Joe, that is a great looking VTA! Not a scratch anywhere on that Boss 302 body. Did you ever race VTA with the gang at Mike’s Hobby Shop?

1 Like

My boys have a 1/16 Summit VXL and a 1/10 rustler
Would love to customize the 1/10 one with some lights
and sounds, maker style!

2 Likes

Lol, yep. I worked with Long and he got me into VTA. I was the one checking
the integrity of the walls along the track. Sadly, that body has quite a
few bumps and bruises.

2 Likes

Oh yes! I remember Long Nguyen and his brother, Stephen, racing VTA at Mike’s. I am hoping that we can gather up the old group from Mike’s and have some parking lot races. Plans are being made.

1 Like

I have an old r/c truck and car that I’ve been wanting to start using again.

2 Likes

That’s great! We will plan to have classes to cover the basics of R/C so that no matter how old your truck or car is, you will be able to fix and maintain it.

1 Like

I am heading to Denver, CO for the Mile High Indoor Championships this next weekend. When I get back I plan to schedule a meeting or a class for anybody interested in R/C cars or trucks.

2 Likes

Here’s a pic of my freshly built F1 car that I will race in Denver next weekend.

2 Likes

Ok. I’m back from my race in Denver. I managed to finish 2nd in the Formula One B-Main and I finished 6th in the 17.5T Spec Sedan B-Main. Not too bad considering that it’s been 6 months since I last drove any of my on-road cars.

Now I am putting together plans to have a class, “Introduction to Radio Controlled Cars”, which I plan to teach on Wednesday, May 6. Keep your eyes on the events calendar for this to pop up.

1 Like

Once the Digital Media Committee gets a camcorder, we will lend it out to you for recording. The DM committee will get the footage edited, with some V.O. work, and you will have a nice little show. I wish you well…My son used to love Race Car Driving. Is Mike’s Hobby shop still open?

3 Likes

Hi Natasha, Mike’s Hobby Shop was officially closed last October and is now a pile of dirt and rubble. Mike Darnell is currently searching for some new property to buy so he can build his next Hobby Shop.

2 Likes

Wow, I am sorry to hear that. That is interesting, I wonder if there would be any opportunities as the DMS space expands. Just a thought.

1 Like

You have read my mind! I have been talking to some of the DMS Board Members about hosting some parking lot races at DMS. I am having a “brainstorm” meeting tonight at 7 pm at DMS and several of my R/C friends (including Mike Darnell) are showing up later today to discuss opportunities for R/C at DMS.

2 Likes

This sounds awesome, I have a 1/10 Nitro Losi ready to roll with no place to go. I already had a plan to put on a class for Lipo / LIFe / NiMH battery care and charging for Aerospace, and we already have a public Multi-Chemistry Battery charger set-up for public use.

2 Likes

Nitro? PeYew! LOL JK I have a 1/8th OFNA nitro buggy that I bash on. Although I haven’t drove it in a while since I need a starter box. Although I did buy a pull start that may fit… Hmmm. I also have:

2012 Xray T3 - Set up for VTA racing
RC10 TC4 Club Racer - Set up for drifting. I think we can set up a nice temporary drift course in the Hands-On room.

2 Likes