R/C Car Build Workshop - Learn how to build your own 1/10 scale car

I want to teach a workshop where I will walk students through all the steps to build their own 1/10 scale R/C car. The car kit for this workshop will be the ‘Sakura XI Sport’ car kit, made by 3Racing, which is the most affordable kit on the market. There are 10 kits available to buy (locally) for anyone who wants to attend this workshop. The kit price is $120.00 (+$5 if paying with PayPal or a CC).

Please reply to this forum topic if you are interested in the “R/C Car Build Workshop.” I will put on the workshop if there are at least 5 people interested in it. If you have any specific questions, you can email me at [email protected].

Click here to see more close-up pictures of the Sakura XI Sport.

3 Likes

As a FYI of Dallas Makerspace policy so be sure that you have accounted for that cost.

Events Charging Entry Fees
For any use of the space where an entry or material fee is charged, the Dallas Makerspace shall be paid 15% of gross sales.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Events_Charging_Entry_Fees

1 Like

I would be down for the class but I am looking for something to do this

Can I put bigger tires on it?

I just need to transport 2-3 balloons on it

1 Like

Thank you for the reminder. We will account for the 15% of gross sales for the workshop.

Yes, you can put bigger tires on it. Although, it looks like the car in that video is a Traxxas E-Maxx which comes fully assembled out of the box.

I would be interested in this workshop as long as it is not scheduled for “This” week, since I am outatown.

Also can I use different motors like 50T, not really interested in racing, I will probably adapt it towards an autonomous robotics base and speed will be my enemy.

Thanks,
Steve

1 Like

Hi Steve,

Yes, the workshop will not start “This” week. I plan to put the workshop on the calendar once we have at least 5 participants committed to it (i.e. once 5 car kits are sold). So far I have 3 folks who have “verbally” confirmed that they will participate in the workshop, but none of the car kits have been purchased as of yet.

Thanks,
David

Ok, so it looks like there are enough people interested in participating in this R/C Car Build workshop. As soon as 5 people buy a car kit, I can put the workshop on the calendar. I will cover the 15% gross sales to DMS.

Now I want to find out what day of the week is best to hold this workshop. Please click on the link below to answer the poll question.

Poll Question: What day of the week is best for you to attend this workshop?

This pie chart shows the results of the poll. It looks like Saturday and Friday are the top choices.

Since there are 3 people who can make it on Friday and 4 people who can make it on Saturday, I decided to have a class on both days. That way participants have a choice of 2 days to attend the workshop.

1 Like

It’s now officially on the calendar. Class #1 - Building the chassis will be taught on Friday night and repeated on Saturday afternoon.

Event Title: R/C Car Build Workshop - Class #1 - Building the chassis
Start Time: Friday 2015-05-22 8:00 PM
End Time: Friday 2015-05-22 10:00 PM
Event Description: This is the 1st of 4 classes that will teach participants how to build a 1/10 scale R/C car from the ground up. The car kit that participants will be assembling is the Sakura XI Sport car from 3Racing.

Event Title: R/C Car Build Workshop - Class #1 - Building the chassis
Start Time: Saturday 2015-05-23 1:00 PM
End Time: Saturday 2015-05-23 3:00 PM
Event Description: This is the 1st of 4 classes that will teach participants how to build a 1/10 scale R/C car from the ground up. The car kit that participants will be assembling is the Sakura XI Sport car from 3Racing.

If anybody is interested in attending this workshop, and wants to buy a car kit, please send an email to Randy Novak, [email protected] , and let him know you want to get a kit.

As of today only 1 car kit has been purchased, so there are still plenty of kits available. If there are less than 5 participants (combined total from Friday and Saturday) for this next weekend, I will re-schedule the workshop for the 1st weekend in June.

Unfortunately I will be a few hundred miles away this holiday weekend and will not be able to attend. :frowning:

It looks like there are less than 5 people who can make it to this weekend’s class, so I am moving the start of this workshop to the first weekend of June. Attendees can either go to Friday, June 5, 8PM - 10PM or you can go to Saturday, June 6, 1PM - 3PM.

I also want to announce a R/C Swap & Trade Meet happening on Sunday, May 31, at the Remote Control Hobbies store in Richardson, TX. This Swap Meet is open to the public and there will be many great deals for anyone looking for low-cost R/C (hobby-grade) equipment.

Click on the link below to see a slideshow with pics of the Sakura XI Sport car. This is the car we will build in the workshop.

1 Like

I still see this on the calendar for tomorrow. I assume it should be canceled? Did you contact anyone to cancel it?

It isn’t a big deal at this point Kent. We will be there all day today and will be building cars, so if anyone shows up we will get them building a car. So no harm no foul.

Hi Kent,

I had one person sign up and buy a car kit. I also heard from 2 other people that they were planning to show up today (Saturday) and attend the class. So I was planning to host the class for 3 if they show up. Like Nick said, I plan to be at DMS all day on Saturday, so if anybody pops in and has interest in building a RC car, then they can join in.

No problem if you’re planning to be there and teach the class if people want it etc., I just wasn’t sure on the status of everything on this thread. There was all sorts of chaos for today’s (Saturday) calendar yesterday (Friday) outside of this class (3 cancellations and 1 class that was never requested and added), so I was just kind of checking out all the stuff on the calendar and remembered this thread.