Quicker/ more accurate manual alignment equipment?

I counted at least 17 tonight…

Why not invest in a basic Camber gauge and a toe measuring tool - they are no where near the cost of the gadgets on the posted link (but they do require a little common sense and basic math)

Puhtahtuh poetaytow…
I think a nifty set like this would enhance the experience, and maybe even make it enticing to teach a class or 2 with a neat-o tool. Plus a fun-to-use carrying case for track days.

This basically IS camber gauge(s) and toe measuring equipment, and from the bit of research I did, this CAN be cheaper than some of the independent tools. Some of the toe measurers were upwards of $1500 alone…

I know it 'IS" a camber gauge - just a very expensive one.

A basic toe in gauge that requires no batteries and is completely manual is about $150. but it is primitive but effective.

If money is no option then by all means buy the cute/pretty digital tools but how many times is it really going to be used effectively at the DMS?

Jast, how many automotive alignments have you performed in real life?

I don’t really think this is relevant, and I think it falls under the category “ad hominum”, but I’ll play along.
It depends how you define “doing an alignment”. Since the facilities I worked for rarely had alignment racks, we farmed that out, but every strut job, axle job, clutch job, etc. I ever did would wind up in a “tape measure toe” “alignment”, so I’ll say several hundred over the years.
Any done to any amount of precision because I cared about more than getting to the alignment shop, about 5. And how many alignments have I seen over the years where I WISH I’d done them manually instead of letting some jerkwad with a computer do it? About 15 or so…

And you?

BTW, if the kit speced in the link includes anything digital, it was my mistake. I’d prefer non-digital equipment, mostly to avoid battery maintenance if nothing else. Maybe they don’t offer than any more… I do like the wheel adapters and tape holders, though.

also, like your avatar (or whatever that little picture next to your screenname is called on Talk). Not a huge fan of the engine myself, but I love seeing the block every time you post!

Jast,

My question was just that - not meant to offend. It seems that we have similar past automotive lives. I done alignments both on the ground with a bubble style camber gauge and a toe in bar (way way back in the early 80’s) and have used the fancy smancy hunter with all the gadgets. I still prefer the “old school” as today’s generation calls it. But today service work is all about quantity and rarely if ever about quality.

For the lemons car I don’t see a need for overkill in the alignment department - basic camber and toe are about it.

My avatar is the love / hate VW VR6 engine block. I’ve have my VR6 powered coupe since 1996 with zero issues issues outside of maintenance and at 195k miles it is still fun.

1 Like

Well-known to me.
Always been a 4-banger fan, since well before the VR engine came along, so I never could convert. I respect the VR6 for being a swift kick in the naysayer’s nards for all the “rules” it breaks. :smiley: I DO like to consider myself a member of the community that keeps it going, though, and loves to flaunt stories like yours in the face of conventional wisdom.

I’ve always been a horizontally opposed air cooled 4/6 banger guy until middle age and things like real heat and the luxury of cold air conditioning were not something I would live without.

I have the old school VR6 - wayyyyyyy back when the valve covers were made of a thing called metal. If it wasn’t for the VR6 - the Veyron would be powered by what?

This is interesting in a DMS kind of way:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/5187483427.html

Yep. Totally familiar. Spoiled brat here. I grew up in air coolers, but since age 12 when I bought a Rabbit always owned wasserpumpen, though luxuries like air conditioning had to wait for me to have the dough…
Your Corrado probably even has DOHC embossed on top of the metal valve cover?

To keep it on topic:

I don’t disagree, but I think the tools I link to would be a nice addition to the 'spaces automotive effort, and are much smaller and easily stored than a full-on lift.
The argument in favor of it over your solution is pure luxury. Kinda like A/C for your suspension, I suppose…
:smiley:

I just ordered a quicktrick quickslide elite

4 Likes

Any idea when this will arrive?
Thank you for ordering, by the way!

Arrived at my house today, will be at DMS tomorrow afternoon

1 Like

I’m getting a set of adjustable front UCAs in the mail this week. Will you or someone else be able to help me use this tool to calibrate/adjust my camber?

Not that we can have a class on it… but I’d love to be there for a demonstration as well.

Watching the 2 minute instruction video is about all the expertise we have

2 Likes

Sounds like it’s time for an experiment!

Looks pretty straight forward to me.

1 Like

Well, if there’s space in the bay, I’ll be doing mine Saturday morning. Anyone that wants to join the party is welcome.

2 Likes

Is there any rules for using the alignment equipment? Can I have someone assist me to do a basic alignment on my car. I can’t justify over $100 for an alignment.

Someone can help show you how to use it, you are always responsible for the work performed on your own vehicle.