Quick question about drilling glass

Hey @PearceDunlap, in your experienced opinion, is this a decent/good set?
I’m looking to drill 3/8" holes in wine/liquor bottles, close to the base.

I’m also working on a very rudimentary water system with a valve and catch pan to use while drilling.

2 Likes

yes that would work, you just need lots and lots of water. like it will work better submerged in water.

i left a set of bits just like this that go from 5/32" to 1" in the glassworks area for people to use, we also have a drill press for them in the hot glass area too. the bits are in a brown card board box in the drawers that face print making

3 Likes

Ok, cool.
I’ll try to adjust to make the piece im drilling submerged.
If I can come up with something, I’ll leave it for others to use.

when I drilled my liquor bottles I used a 2 liter soda bottle with a pinhole near the bottom.

fill up the 2 liter with water and the use the screw on cap as a valve by loosening it up just a bit until the flow hits where you want

I’ve actually designed a 1 gallon bottle with a valve to turn the water on and off with a hose that can be positioned where needed.

1 Like

The one time I drilled glass (a super thick crystal plate), we made a dam around the drilling spot using some clay; then we filled that pool (with alcohol actually because it seems to cool better than water). Worked like a charm.

(As alcohol evaporates at a much faster rate compared with water due to its lower boiling temperature (82 compared to 100 degrees C), it is able to carry away more heat. Source: Scientific American )

4 Likes