Questions, Questions, Questions

Found this when I walked in this afternoon.

Is it a good idea to leave glue ups like this? Why are the clamps extending out into the walk way? Is there potential for the clamps bending or personal injury if someone walks by and catches one of the clamp bars?

Why are these taking up workbench space when they could be in the storage racks?

Why is there no name/contact info?

Is this an example of excellent behavior?

What, if anything, should be done about it?

4 Likes

There was someone’s name on them with blue tape, I think. It does look a bit awkward…if safety was a concern or I needed the table, and if they were dry/cured, I would have just unclamped and moved them somewhere.

But I agree no one should have to be put in that position.

I did note when I walked by them this a.m. that they were pretty nice craftsmanship, though.

1 Like

Had I seen the tag I would have called. I’m not cleaning up after other people - I learned a long time ago (before DMS) - if you clean up after other people you end up with bigger messes to clean up.

Glue-ups are allowed on the tables just outside of the Woodshop doors, HOWEVER…

No, they should not extend out into walkway areas to the degree they introduce a safety concern (this clamp up is a hazard).

I have personally never left a glue-up on those tables for more than 12 hours. Usually, 4-6 hours is plenty of time unless it’s a stressed joint, and even then 12 hours should get you to a point where you can remove clamps, and I’m being super generous with this estimate.

Members who DO leave a clamp-up unattended for more than…say…30 minutes, need to leave a note with the following information clearly readable adjacent to, or taped directly onto their glue-up: Name, the date and time the glue-up was first left unattended, and a good phone number to contact the member at.

Anything less is considered inconsiderate to other members, the committee, and the officers and Board members.

3 Likes

Those glue-ups have been there since at Wednesday afternoon.

Those are mine. I’ve been waiting for DMS to reopen. Guess if people are taking pictures there it’s open. I left those there on Wednesday night. I came by Thursday afternoon to take them off, and could not get in.

2 Likes

Yes, power was restored and DMS is open :grin::+1:
And nice work!! Those look great! :smiley:

2 Likes