Questions for the candidates

Hi,

Here are some questions for the candidates for the board. These are my questions, with input from a couple of folks. Some are serious, some are for laughs. I hope they promote a strong, positive discussion. Please add more, better questions.

To the candidates: Thank you for volunteering. I do appreciate you putting yourselves forward to help our Space.

1. Our fabulous MakerSpace is a success in large part because of the goodwill and efforts of many volunteers. How would you foster that goodwill?
  2. What do you believe are the greatest 3 virtues of the MakerSpace?
  3. What do you believe are the greatest 3 weaknesses of the MakerSpace?
  4. What do you like to make?
  5. What do you like to teach?
  6. What do you want to learn?
  7. How do you like to help?
  8. Are you a clean freak, a hoarder, or somewhere in between?
  9. What is your favorite colour?
  10. In your view, should the Space be more of a community organization, or a professional service organization, like a TechShop?
  11. Do you have a good understanding of the Bylaws, Standing Rules, and running of the Space?
  12. Banning has been on the rise. The Bylaws cover banning under Rule 4.13
    Section 4.13 Expulsion
    A member shall be expelled from the membership of the corporation for a period set by resolution of the Board of Directors after providing the member with reasonable written notice and an opportunity to be heard by the Board of Directors either orally or in writing, and upon a determination by the Board of Directors that the member engaged in conduct materially and seriously prejudicial to the interests or purposes of the corporation.
    How would you ensure that all the elements of rule 4.13 are followed in the future?
  13. Do-acracy. This often leads to success for the space. Sometimes it leads to drama and/or failure. What guidelines would you propose to guide our community?
  14. How many members would be ideal?
  15. Where should we be in 3 years? In 5 years? In 10?
  16. Do you support community parties, picnics, and events?
  17. Is there a defining issue that made you decide to run?
  18. Have you been sued? Have you sued any one?
  19. Have you been responsible for spending large amounts of other’s people’s money.
  20. Apple vs FBI. Who is right?

What are your thoughts on capital planning?

What is your philosophy on the acquisition of equipment? Manifest destiny?

What is your thought process when deciding if the BoD should contribute funds to purchase a committee item? Should committees generate funds for capital purchases or should the BoD?

What are your plans for growing the budget of DMS?

Do you understand that you have personal liability as a Director of a nonprofit?

Do you have an formal education, on-the-job training, or working knowledge of corporate finance?

Edit:
What is the role of a Director?

Our fabulous MakerSpace is a success in large part because of the goodwill and efforts of many volunteers. How would you foster that goodwill?
By empowering volunteers and allowing them to contribute easily / effectively

What do you believe are the greatest 3 virtues of the MakerSpace?
Members, members, members

What do you believe are the greatest 3 weaknesses of the MakerSpace?
Members, members, tax law

What do you like to make?
Software, Cars, makerspaces

How do you like to help?
Organizing things

Are you a clean freak, a hoarder, or somewhere in between?
By keeping DMS clean and organized members can better achieve their goals of making things, hoarding is a detriment and only hurts DMS.

What is your favorite colour?
Rustoleum Satin Oasis Blue

In your view, should the Space be more of a community organization, or a professional service organization, like a TechShop?
Being an all volunteer organization and nonprofit with a very flat fee structure means we will continue to have a more community organization feel.

Do you have a good understanding of the Bylaws, Standing Rules, and running of the Space?
Yes

Banning has been on the rise. The Bylaws cover banning under Rule 4.13
Section 4.13 Expulsion
A member shall be expelled from the membership of the corporation for a period set by resolution of the Board of Directors after providing the member with reasonable written notice and an opportunity to be heard by the Board of Directors either orally or in writing, and upon a determination by the Board of Directors that the member engaged in conduct materially and seriously prejudicial to the interests or purposes of the corporation.
How would you ensure that all the elements of rule 4.13 are followed in the future?
Posting minutes of decisions / process after board meetings

Do-acracy. This often leads to success for the space. Sometimes it leads to drama and/or failure. What guidelines would you propose to guide our community?
More than one person gathering together in a single place sometimes leads to drama and/or failure. As an all volunteer organization, no one is paid to do anything, it is every member’s’ responsibility to help keep the organization functioning. Either volunteers can feel empowered to take action that they believe will help out DMS or nothing will ever get done.

How many members would be ideal?
Too many would be showing up and not being able to have a work table

Where should we be in 3 years? In 5 years? In 10?
Known around the world as the best makerspace in existence.

Do you support community parties, picnics, and events?
Yes, (attendee funded/donated food/consumables)

Is there a defining issue that made you decide to run?
Having more ability to make DMS better.

Have you been sued? Have you sued any one?
No

Have you been responsible for spending large amounts of other’s people’s money.
No

Apple vs FBI. Who is right?
Apple

Currently there are no proposals on upcoming large purchases that we would need to plan for, we are putting 2,000 a month into savings every month after I proposed that last year. We will likely increase that savings rate. So far no single machine (with exception of multicam that we financed) has exceeded the amount of expendable cash we have on hand. It’s better to just be frugal and let the general fund accumulate before making large purchases.

Committee chairs should look at what members would like to do in their area and plan out what would be best to get to benefit members.

What is your thought process when deciding if the BoD should contribute funds to purchase a committee item? Should committees generate funds for capital purchases or should the BoD?
Committees should aspire to generate funds when possible, because then the chair can buy stuff without having to get approval from anyone. If a committee doesn’t have cash on hand or it would take more than a couple months to generate then the board should allocate from the general fund if the chair can show that it would significantly benefit members.

Retain members

Do you understand that you have personal liability as a Director of a nonprofit?
Yes

Do you have an formal education, on-the-job training, or working knowledge of corporate finance?
No

See my SOI

3 Likes

Link to Statemetns of Intent / SOI

1. Our fabulous MakerSpace is a success in large part because of the goodwill and efforts of many volunteers. How would you foster that goodwill?
I feel the volunteer labor is one of our more valuable and scare resources at the Space, so we need to cultivate it as best possible.

I feel that volunteers are most engaged when they have a sense of autonomy, ownership, and mastery of a subject – yet also have resources to turn to when needed. I feel this is a positive aspect of the do-ocracy that makes the Space great. I think the tour guide handbook put out by the PR committee is a great example of this – it gives our tour volunteers a solid background in the Space, but is far from a script giving them the autonomy to provide their own presentation.

2. What do you believe are the greatest 3 virtues of the MakerSpace?
Fellowship, curiosity, inventiveness

3. What do you believe are the greatest 3 weaknesses of the MakerSpace?
Clique-ishness (only one that comes to mind at the moment)

4. What do you like to make?
Whenever I’m not working on the space itself, I dabble with auto repair, work on my pinball machine, kick around the idea of another pinball machine (likely a solid state), have toyed with 3D printing, and used the woodshop more than expected for others’ various projects.

5. What do you like to teach?
I’ve not really considered myself a teacher, but have considered some teaching a course on LED lighting fixture design and possibly practical Excel usage.

6. What do you want to learn?
Machining. Modern 3D CAD applications. Furniture making. Electronics beyond Ohm’s law. Soldering beyond “the bigger the blob the better the job”. Auto repair. Welding. Probably more.

7. How do you like to help?
I like to do necessary things, which is why I volunteered to do Logistics – not a glamorous role, but it provides services that the Space needs.

8. Are you a clean freak, a hoarder, or somewhere in between?
I am somewhere in between in that I prefer a certain sense of order over cleanliness – but that does put a limit on the hoarding.

9. What is your favorite colour?
Gray.

10. In your view, should the Space be more of a community organization, or a professional service organization, like a TechShop?
I feel that we are in no position to be a service organization due to our finances and structure.

With a pay-per-play service comes expectations of service levels – i.e. the acceptable PolyPrinter downtime would be zero, the HAAS crash would have been fixed next day at considerable cost, the Epilog engraver would be available for use within 48 hours of its arrival, and we would have a $50k dust collection system in the wood shop.

The culture of such a place would also be less one of members and more one of customers – which is not something I feel that we want.

11. Do you have a good understanding of the Bylaws, Standing Rules, and running of the Space?
I feel that I have a yeoman’s grasp of the bylaws and rules, which I would immediately get up to speed on if elected.

12. Banning has been on the rise. The Bylaws cover banning under Rule 4.13
Section 4.13 Expulsion
Banning is a difficult decision. As a peripheral participant in some recent incidents – and not always in agreement with the decisions – I do feel it is not something that the board takes lightly.

13. Do-acracy. This often leads to success for the space. Sometimes it leads to drama and/or failure. What guidelines would you propose to guide our community?
Do-ocracy is implied in my earlier perspective on ownership, autonomy, and mastery. They are all are an incentive to act at all – it’s your thing, you get to control how it’s done, and perhaps you get to refine your skill at it in the process. Our assumption about do-ocracy is that you will also conform to our motto – be excellent to each other.

We must always balance the willingness of our volunteers to donate their time, effort, ingenuity, and even material donations against the desire for the optimal outcome of every situation every time. A further consideration is the many possible reasonable interpretations of what being excellent means.

As such, it is difficult to propose a concrete policy on addressing do-ocracy. I feel this has to be addressed on a case-by-case basis with some consideration for the differing perspectives of the involved parties.

14. How many members would be ideal?
Enough to comfortably sustain our infrastructure of real estate, equipment, knowledge, and culture: provide adequate capabilities to keep the membership engaged some margin against unexpected loss, reasonable financial margins, and the capability to do new and interesting things.

15. Where should we be in 3 years? In 5 years? In 10?
I feel that 3 years is nearing the limit of our planning horizon due to the nature of the Space.

In 3 years the issue of handling whatever membership growth we hope to experience needs to be addressed: we need to either have additional space, a new space, or have adapted to whatever form we have taken on by then at our present space. I hope we have begun to adapt to being a larger organization and kept what was good about the old days but begun to embrace the present realities of not everyone knowing everyone else and strong consensus being a vanishingly rare thing.

In 5 years I would like to think that have adapted to being a larger organization. We will have an internal leadership culture that’s immersed itself in lessons learned and has a sort of professionalism to it.

In 10 years I simply hope that we are still around and better than we were in 5 years.

16. Do you support community parties, picnics, and events?
I absolutely support community events – especially those that cross traditional committee/interest lines. We are stronger as an organization when we speak to one another outside of the boxes we check for one another – such as I only do creative arts or I’m a machinist or I only like my fellow woodworkers – and cross the barriers to get past us-vs-them and simply all be makers at DMS.

17. Is there a defining issue that made you decide to run?
I decided that I wanted to contribute to the community in an additional way.

18. Have you been sued? Have you sued any one?
No

19. Have you been responsible for spending large amounts of other’s people’s money.
No

20. Apple vs FBI. Who is right?
Apple is generally right although they likely could have assisted via means other than the objectionable alternative firmware method that the FBI proposed.

And now onto the second set of questions…

This is a valuable tool in business where the goals of the organization are aligned with those of key stakeholders, with continuous vision - all generally guided by profit motive. DMS is missing thes factors, which makes capital planning difficult - “management” vis-a-vis the board of directors is subject to relatibely short terms via annual elections, the stakeholders are numerous and also subject to frequent change, and there isn’t a profit motive to encourage adherence to a course that runs over multiple years.

I thought that Kent Bowling’s “dollar voting” concept from several member meetings ago was interesting - make funding major equipment purchases more transparent/democratic and reduce BoD involvement and control over the process. The crowdsource funding mechanism would also let people put their money where their mouths are with some assurance that it would go towards the desired purpose. Implicit was that management and ownership of the entire process would be in the hands of interested parties, which I see as positive do-ocracy.

My sense is that committees are a key gauge of demand for a specific capital purchase and should play a significant role in the funding of said items. A 50/50 BoD/committee split seems like a reasonable geberal maximum for the BoD contribution to a major capital purchase that clearly benefits a specific committee.

I would like to retain more of our recruited members, work on grants, and investigate offering additional paid services without disrupting our membership, culture, and present use of the Space.

I do. I also understand that director insurance is something DMS pays for - not to give the BoD carte blanche but to protect the BoD against litigation when they have followed the bylaws and behaved reasonably within the eyes of state and federal law. As such, I will pay close attention to the bylaws when acting as director so as to protect the Space as a non-profit entity.

I touched on the subject of corporate finance a few times during my university education, but have no working vocational knowledge of the subject.

To act in the best interest of the organization.

3 Likes

Our fabulous MakerSpace is a success in large part because of the goodwill and efforts of many volunteers. How would you foster that goodwill?
Many members are just here for the tools and facilities serving their own needs. Once they get a few projects under their belt many decide that getting involved is something interesting to them. We as a space need to allow them to participate openly. Too much nitpicking, rule lawyering or criticism of their efforts and they pull back. Need to be more respectful of other opinions and talents.

1. Members - what an amazing range of talent we have! Members teaching members is one of the most interesting aspects of DMS.
  2. Facilities - the quality of our space is great and continually being improved by above.
  3. Power of group funding - this is the heart of making DMS such a great value. $50 and have access to $250k in tools. wow.

1. Overworking volunteers - a lot of the BoD’s job is often thankless. Are you going to call the plumber?
  2. Lack of respect of others - this is what is often behind the conflicts. Too much “me” and not enough “we”.
  3. Financial Planning - We have done great to get where we are! No one had a harder job than our Treasurer. But to continue to improve we need to work on how we manage big expenses. We really should be aware these big items at least several months in advance.

High voltage stuff, loud stuff, energetic stuff. Most is hard to do at DMS.

What do you like to teach?
Basic electronics, pyrotechnics, cooking.

What do you want to learn?
Finally learn to use the Haas, test out on the CNC.

How do you like to help?
My best skills are mostly back office, communications and automated systems.

Between. It’s hard to see something with inherent value be tossed. But I’m a big fan of clean organized workspaces. Dichotomy of space.

Purple

In your view, should the Space be more of a community organization, or a professional service organization, like a TechShop?
The value in DMS is as a creative making community. While Techshop is impressive in its tools and facilities, they feel a little cold and solitary.

Do you have a good understanding of the Bylaws, Standing Rules, and running of the Space?
Yes, have read them very thoroughly and refer to them often.

Banning has been on the rise. [snip] How would you ensure that all the elements of rule 4.13 are followed in the future?
While banning has occurred, the BoD has been very fair to date. Usually safety is their primary concern. And secondly, managing behavior where is impacts on lots of other members. I would continue being very moderate in our actions and only use banning as a last recourse.

Do-acracy. This often leads to success for the space. Sometimes it leads to drama and/or failure. What guidelines would you propose to guide our community?
Do-acracy is a powerful motivator for members to contribute. But where it falls short is when there is a small group that feels they have a greater say. It goes back to a respect for other members at DMS. Just because you are a volunteer, does not mean you have free reign to paint graffiti everywhere.

Actually think we are nearing our limit for our current space. 1,500 seems to be the point were we are generating enough income to be able to afford a larger space. The hard part for us in the next 18 months is, how do we afford to purchase expensive tools, operate our current space AND plan for an eventual new building?

I appreciate the goal to look forward so far but 10 years?! We are trying to improve our processes to look at the next quarter. OK, I’ll bite, 5 years we should be in a space roughly twice the size, in 10 years we should have some level of ownership of the building we are in.

This is something I miss from the old space. We did a lot more impromptu meals, gatherings. So glad to see members organizing potlucks and events to just get together and hangout. Need more!

In electronics were are very lucky that most board members dabble in electronics at some level. They have always been supportive of us. I think it would be great to include other committees in that mix.

Ok, this is a joke right? But no and no.

I’m a self-employed web developer, so I spend my days spending other people’s money. I understand how to get them the maximum value for their investments. I would look out for DMS’s capital just as well.

Both to a small degree. Most of their shenanigan’s is for posturing and showboating. Apple does have the right to build their product as they see fit and not forced to break encryption. It’s doubtful that the FBI or NSA could not already crack the iPhone. A backdoor would never be secure.

2 Likes

Elections are now a go!
Thank you very much @Brandon_Green, @ESmith (Erik Smith) and @Lampy (Ken Purcell) for your insights and helping us make a better decision.

Would any of the other candidates like to address the questions, or share other thoughts about their campaign?
@AlexRhodes, Allen Wan, @brianbterry, Chuck Barber, @LisaSelk, @lukeiamyourfather, @themitch22, @Robert_Davidson

Thank you all.

I would do my best to make sure that all members feel welcome and help facilitate them in whatever ways we can.

Access to tools, space, and people.
I personally joined to gain access to the tools and space. But the people are just as valuable of an asset. Having someone show you how to 3D print is just as valuable as the 3D printer, if not more.

Communication, we definitely have silos and need better talks between the chairs/committees.

Members, we have people who love to argue for arguments sake, people who do things to get a rile out of people and people who steal. Those all go against the being excellent that this space was built on.

Accountability: People have stolen. People break things and don’t report it. People are rude to others and cause them to quit. People lie to other members to try and gain access to tools. Not many of these people are reported, disciplined, or helped.

I think if you solve the first one and communicate what is allowed and isn’t, what actions will be taken and make it consistent these other problems will solve themselves.

Wood stuff mostly. Makerspace stuff happens more though.

How do you like to help?

Anyway I can. I have taken on things from dealing with the city to helping build storage units.

I am somewhere in between. I am more inclined to keep a tool if it works not in the hopes it will work someday.

my favorite COLOR is slate gray.

It is its own thing . If we had a warehouse with no tools, most people wouldn’t come. If we had a room with nothing but tools, people would stick to certain areas and never try something new. I think it takes people offering a way to an experience that makes the space great.

Yes

Section 4.13 Expulsion

We can look at contradicting info and interpretation from the Rules/Code of Conduct.

Since the space is all volunteer run, and everyone has opinions, there will always be people who disagree. While I do believe actions speak louder than words at the space, I think going through a committee is the best route. You get buy in from more than one person. The lone wolf doesn’t always work.

I don’t think there is a limit. But I do like Brandons answer. “Too many would be showing up and not being able to have a work table” To that I say, lets build more tables, but not the “Allen Tables”

In the Dallas Metroplex…I have ideas, have multiple buildings (nodes) but they are not feasible currently. Ideally you want to give this access to as many people as possible. I see the Dallas Makerspace being around 20 years from now.

Yes, but I don’t support food coming out of committee funds.

I was on the fence but came to embrace that I am a masochist. Honestly though I enjoy the space and am willing to work hard to make sure this is the best makerspace.

No ( I also don’t know why this matters)

Yes.

Apple

I would love it if committees came up with a 6th month or 12th month plan. It is kind of hard to plan when a new $15K tool gets added to a meeting 24 hours before. I would love to do a saving towards a tool/ lay away style. There does need to be more set aside in savings for our next building or build out.

I believe its up to the committees to a certain extent. I am for equipment but not parts unless they are donated. Hoarding factor also needs to be taken into account.

I think the board should approve any capital expenses. The committee allocations should be for consumables and money earned from donations/honorariums should be used for smaller more fun tools, but not necessary tools. Donated/honorariums should never be expected to pay for consumables. I think it would be more of an incentive to teach if the money went to making the committees better not to simply keep them running.

Quality classes, uptime of tools and retention of members will follow.

Yes

kind of, I am currently a board member and I also work as a manager for a large non profit outside of DMS.

To have a high level view of the space. I would like them to get out of the day to day but we don’t have an HR department or other departments like a normal business. We are not a normal business so it varies.

2 Likes

I see myself genuinely interested in multiple committees at the space, I hope to fairly support committees fulfill our mission.

Integrity, resourcefulness, and respect

close-mindedness, long term planning, lack of focus

3D printers and interactive gadget stuff

3D printing and scanning

programming - making my hardware do software

find something I’m good at and help others be good at it too. Delegating roles to effectively make stuff happen.

somewhere in between. I had to condense 4 ikea bins down to two.

(It’s color without a “u”) 0x32 shades of #c3c3c3

A community organization that has volunteers that want to help others like a service, and be as maintained as a techshop

I think I’ve learned the ropes in the 2 years i’ve been here, but it will be a learning experience for sure.

I’d make sure that the member being expelled is aware of the rules and given a chance to be heard, but banning be consistent and fairly acted upon.

Do-ocracy is like free speech, just because you can say anything also means you have to accept the concequences. I think the same for do-ocracy, the board should make a final call if the members can not productively do do-ocracy.

1337 members

not bankrupt, steadily grown, and have more tools and interests groups working well together

When time allows. The pot lucks have been great so far.

A lot of members suggested I run for board, and I’m crazy enough to say yes.

I signed up for a class action lawsuit against redbull and got a free 4-pack.

No.

Don’t know the full story but I’d side with privacy and probably Apple.

I think we should definitely plan for large tool purchases, making our infrastructure a major focus since it’s the investment of having a workshop like we do. And any future unexpected down-turns and the eventual goal of what to do at the end of our lease.

Spend adecquate money on tools that will actually be used, liquidate donated or “projects” tools that don’t see much use. Tools are a commodity at the space, I think we need to plan accordingly.

I think committees should be self-sufficient but capital purchases should at least have some matching funding from the committees mainly to show actual interest and planned return on investment (teaching classes with new tools)

Setting goals and figuring out the best way to obtain them. Eliminate wastes, theft, unnecessary spending.

Yes.

No

A director guides an organization in the future to align with that organization’s missions.

1 Like

I believe the question about suing someone, or being sued, was in relation to a Director’s potential liability in serving, but I am not certain (It was not mine). @AlexRhodes

By figuring out what makes each volunteer tick and making sure DMS is doing everything it can within reason to make it a rewarding experience for the volunteer.

Never being the smartest guy in the room, falling in love with something you didn’t know existed before you arrived, and being able to give back to someone in a meaningful way that you otherwise wouldn’t have been able to do.

I don’t usually think of DMS in a negative light so I will have to get back to you on this question. I think the trolling and politics are sometimes not in the best interest of the space.

Unmanned aerial systems, firearms, programs, photographs, circuits, articles, too many things to list!

Anything where there are only a few students at a time. I’m not very good with groups large enough that people become reluctant to engage in conversation.

All the things.

How do you like to help?
One logical step at a time.

Somewhere in between.

It changes frequently, right now it’s probably orange. I’ve spent a great deal of time thinking about color and have taken color theory classes (I have a bachelor of fine arts by the way).

DMS is a 501©(3) non profit organization focused on education (and probably scientific purposes as well). Sometimes this fact is forgotten or ignored, I want to bring it to the forefront and make as many decisions as possible based on that.

I think so, but there’s always room for improvement!

Banning has been on the rise. The Bylaws cover banning under Rule 4.13… How would you ensure that all the elements of rule 4.13 are followed in the future?
By going with what the bylaws say. If the bylaws need changing then it’s something the members have the ability to do and I hope they do what’s best for DMS.

I don’t have a solid answer for this question. Or rather the answer brings into question the value of do-acracy in an organization with more than one thousand people. While it may work well in small groups it may not work well in other situations. On the other hand I’m a fan of having as few rules and procedures as possible.

How many intelligent, creative, kind, curious, philanthropic, and passionate people are there within a reasonable distance? More people brings many benefits but at some point quality becomes just as important if not more important than quantity.

Most importantly we should still be in existence (don’t laugh, there are very real ongoing threats to the existence of an organization like DMS that we have to look out for). I’d like to see satellite locations or partnerships at some point because there are many people in the DFW area that can’t make it to the space often enough to justify becoming a member.

It depends on the nature and purpose of these activities. For the most part, yes.

Giving a shit.

No, yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I’m in favor of it in theory but in practice it’s not always the best option for DMS. For example one off deals that come up on Craigslist or industry connections are difficult or impossible to plan for.

It depends on the exact situation so I’m not going to oversimplify things.

What is your thought process when deciding if the BoD should contribute funds to purchase a committee item?
Committees should have a good grasp on their goals and how they operate and not rely on the board of directors for committee level decisions. Like the previous question, it depends on the exact situation.

Should committees generate funds for capital purchases or should the BoD?
Yes.

I don’t have any specific plans for growing the budget at this time.

Yes.

I’d like to think so (not formal), there’s one way to find out!

I feel like a LMGTFY link would be inappropriate but that’s what I thought of first. Can you be more specific?

The point of the question is to gain insight in to what a candidate thinks their role will be as a Director.

Make there job as easy as possible and removing any blockers.

Members, recruitment, equipment

Bad Apples in the mix, managing support expectations, burnout of key volunteers

Home automation, makerspaces, DIY repairs

How do you like to help?

Vendor Mgmt, ambassador,

Anti hoarder, want to stay functional and get rid of anything that inhibits making

Orange

We should be what we become.
Leadership and members make up the heart of DMS

Yes

Section 4.13 Expulsion

Feel like this is a trap question and misses the intent of “banning”

Do-ocracy leave it as is; a majority of the time things work out but occasionally people Goto extreme or don’t communicate and then corrective actions can be applied.

Going to use Brandon’s answer

“Too many would be showing up and not being able to have a work table”

Hopefully thriving I see makerspaces as the next YMCA.

Yes

wanted to get DMS to its first million.

No,Yes

Yes

Apple

In the end the capital planning must follow the intent of the membership I have always felt I would rather be growing in members and have great working equipment than money in the bank.

What is your philosophy on the acquisition of equipment? Manifest destiny.

Committees should communicate to the BOD it’s intent.

I would love to get out of the sales business and only take dues for membership and classes.

Committees need operation budget and flexibility in there budget.
BOD should be responsible for “capital” purchases.

Retain members

Yes

No

To do the job that nobody else will do that could be taking trash out, missing work, skipping vacations in the end your signing up to do all roles and DMS can’t afford to have a lame director. Expect 20 hours min of work a week.

Ps please forgive any typos posting this on a phone in a busy cafe and on a 100k internet pipe that drops every 5 min

I believe one of the easiest and often overlooked methods for fostering good will is public recognition and thanks for ones handwork.

1. The number of people who feel ownership of the space and are willing to give a large portion of there limited free time to both improve the space and keep it running.
  2. The egalitarian or “flat” structure of the space that allows for people to openly approach one another and exchange ideas.
  3. The shear talent of our members. I am consistently amazed by the quality and amount of assistance one can receive on such a wide variety of topics

Right now a lack of communication is chief among the weaknesses of the MakerSpace. I would then probably say our

I like science and technology projects.
Right now Im working on:

• Raman Spectrometer (In progress)
  • Brewing Beer

I probably find woodworking the most relaxing though.

I like teaching people about science. I love teaching people about how the world around them works and watch them gain a new perspective

I also enjoy educating people about the outdoors. Its fun to see how quickly people become self sufficient.

So many things… Right now I am trying improve my electronics design knowledge and my 3d modeling skills.

How do you like to help?
I like working in groups and find I work best in a facilitating or planning.

Definitely not a clean freak. I would describe myself as… comfortably disorganized. I am not a hoarder but seldom keep an item for sentimental reasons.
“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?”

What is your favorite color?
Blue. No yel-- AUUUUUUUGH!

A community organization above all. We are an organization run by the members for the members. As stated above, I believe the community of people that makes up the MakerSpace is our greatest strength.

I have made a concerted effort to talk to the people currently involved with running the space. I have also read through the Bylaws and Standing Rules thoroughly.

Section 4.13 Expulsion
We should have a more cohesive and codified process for banning. There should be more active mediation seeking conflict resolution.

I think a helpful general guideline would be for members to first consider how there actions will effect other members.

I am wary to put up a number and say that it is THE ideal number. I believe this depends on the health of the community and what our infrastructure can support.

Yes. I believe this

No defining issue. People suggested I run and I am willing to serve.

No to both.

Have you been responsible for spending large amounts of other’s people’s money?
I have been

Apple.

I believe committee chairs should be given a good amount of leeway to make purchasing decisions.

I would focus

Yes. (As stated in the Texas Business Organizations Code under the liability section)

I only have passing knowledge of corporate finance. I received a limited amount of “on-the-job-training” interfacing with the student h
From a leadership perspective I believe they should provide high level guidance and long term direction to the organization. In my opinion the board is currently too involved in day to day decision making. From a legal perspective, and to larger extent from a personal perspective, a director should act in the best interest of the organization.