Questions about board actions

Why were Larry Garcia’s & Jo Panden’s suspensions changed from temporary to permanent? It’s not detailed.

Not sure about Larry, but the minutes show this for Jo:

MOTION: Permanently expel Jo Paden for continued harassment.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20191005_Special_Meeting

2 Likes

Why were those previous posts downvoted? Is it the participation trophy crowd?

Responses to comments on leadership statements are off topic.

No, I flagged your post and mine as off-topic, because they are and should be split into a new thread. I’ll flag this one too.

Why not this approach then?

Because I’m not a mod, I can’t move your post to a new topic. I’m willing to discuss how Discourse works in a new thread or PM, but please, lets stop derailing this thread.

Because he’s not a moderator. He did the most he could do. Flag it. Clearly other people agreed.

@Team_Moderators care for a split now?

1 Like

Andrew already covered Jo’s but Larry is different. After we caught Larry cheating honorarium by signing you up as a student in classes you didn’t attend we banned him for a year. After the ban he sent us verbally abusive emails, proving he’s not only willing to cheat a charity out of money but also lacked any contrition or remorse for his actions.

9 Likes

Larry:
In addition to filing a completely false formal complaint against an officer and another member that could have subjected them to disciplinary action (we had a recording) he also allowed his dog to run loose in the warehouse and poop all over the place and left the mess for someone else to clean up. We had a recording of the dog incident along with close up pictures taken by the person who had to clean it up. He also routinely abused storage and overmarked attendance. I reluctantly voted on a 6 month expulsion even though we had more than enough for a permanent expulsion hoping that he could learn from the experience and become a productive member upon his return. After the original disciplinary action, Larry sent abusive emails including a support ticket telling our volunteers to F off.

Jo:
Continued harassment after being expelled. We discussed with Jo multiple times, including in writing, before taking any action, expelled her due to continued harassment in a disciplinary hearing that she was welcome to attend but chose not to, and then after the original disciplinary action she continued the harassment and threats via email.

9 Likes

He also vehemently denied his dog was ever inside until we told him we had video, then he said he just “wasn’t aware of our pet policy.”
Nothing was ever his fault and we were always out to get him.

6 Likes

“Modify prior disciplinary action for [member name] to permanent expulsion” would mean that the committee chair did a temp ban until the Board meeting which had the authority make it permanent.

Not a subsequent issue, but rather a formal perm ban from the initial issue, which a committee chair cannot impose on their own.

1 Like

IDK of any company that lets you harass its Board

2 Likes

Thank you @mrjimmy and @Julie-Harris for the additional information and clarification.

1 Like