Question on maintenance for my car so I don't get fleeced

Hmmm . . . my 2007 Nissan 350z has about 190K miles on it, and I’ve never had that done. Guess I’ll look into this. What, exactly, was your hard experience?

Neither the G37 nor the 350z ever came with a CVT.

4 Likes

The CVT started slipping on the way to Colorado. We were near Amarillo when it started. at about 45 mph the RPM would slowly start to climb to maintain the speed like we were going up hill. This was accompanied by a howling sound. The car had about 80K miles at the time. This was the first day of our summer vacation last year, ended up having to rent a car because it was a week to get the part. Fun fact, the rentals at the dealer in Amarillo can’t leave the state, so we had to catch a ride to the airport to rent from Hertz. The guy at Hertz took pity and hooked us up with an upgrade to the next size up at the compact price, so that was great. I’ll be renting from them again this summer out of loyalty for saving our vacation and fear of driving the Nissan really far again :wink:

We had a Sentra with a manual that got to 170K without even needing a clutch, and nothing else on this Altima has gone wrong. The CVT seems to be the weak point, but as someone noted above the G series and 350 never had them, so you are all in luck there.

1 Like

If I only had a nickle for every person who’s uttered these true, true, words.
Upside, it’s a slight improvement over the DSGs sold in the same market segment in prior years.

2 Likes

Definitely Stoopid Gearbox? :smiley:

Did the warranty cover up to that mileage?

1 Like

Nope, we were just outside both mileage and age.

On the plus side, in one incident I used up all my bad luck and the vacation turned out fabulous. Spent 10 days at a rental in woodland park, walking distance from a dinosaur museum and a beer garden.

2 Likes

CVTs… I understand the working principle, but can’t get it out of my head that that’s a golf cart transmission.

2 Likes

It’s also a twist n go scooter transmission like these(some of them at least)

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/scooter

1 Like

and snowmobiles, UTVs, etc.
Where they do a fine job.
And where their sphere of influence should certainly have remained…

1 Like

Spencer, where in the metromess are you? If you’re over near Keller my brother manages a transmission repair shop and will treat you right.

2 Likes

Nissan CVTs are consumables like brakes and shocks. Don’t bother servicing them. They will go out between 65-100k and just need a swap then you are all good for another 65-100k.

Far North Dallas by tollway and frankford