Question: Getting a fitting back on pipe

Background: I’m rebuilding a 1954 GMC motor. This engine has been rebuilt before by someone else in the past. This piece is the pipe that goes from the oil pump to the engine block.

Somehow the brass fitting has come off this steel pipe on one end. This is not a modern compression fitting but the purpose is the same. I could just install this as is and for the most part it would stay together but I would lose some oil pressure.

The other fitting shows signs that it was stretched out just enough that it can slide off the pipe but stays on the most part.

Any suggestions of removing 0.050 inches or less off the inside diameter of the brass fitting? Or should I ask Jewelry if they can help me use a ring sizer (because I think that would work, it is just brass).

I uploaded images of the fitting and end of the 1/2" OD pipe and also an image of the other fitting that shows signs that it was stretched out on the end.

You may check Machine Shop to see if they have reamer the size you need if you need close tolerance, otherwise a drill (± .005 should be achievable clamped properly IF DONE ON BRIDGEPORT not drill press)

Would take someone a lot more experience than me to do it on a lathe.

You might be able to wrap emery paper round a rod and slowly hone it out, .050" isn’t a massive amount to start with a more aggressive grit then go to say 800 o do the finish.

1 Like

You can make a mandrel. Heat the brass up to anneal it, then push the mandrel through it on the arbor press.

I did that with the air compressor fittings.

2 Likes

Your reamer suggestion is making me think a deburring tool might very carefully get the job done just enough.

Does anyone know if the machine shop has any kind of reamer set?

Most deburring tools just break the edge at the end.

Last I saw, Reamers were in the gray cabinets and were in gray metal boxes where cutters and drills are kept. Could be other other colors of boxes.

Don’t ream it. You need to swage it back to size. If you take material away from it, it more than likely will leak.

1 Like

It’s easier in the long run to do it properly.

@tbjk thanks for the suggestions. I ended up buying a swage punch from lowes. That did the trick.

Oil pump installed

4 Likes