Question about the Kluge Printing Press

I saw the Kluge press the other day and recognized it immediately. My father was a printer and worked for Martin Stationary here in Dallas for 40+ years… and he worked with this very model. Sadly , it is not the same press because that would be very cool but it does not have certain identifying marks that would have been present on that machine. Still, out of nostalgic motives, I was wondering what the plans were for this press. I even have a semi technical connection if there are question on its operation. Anyway, just curious about the planned future for this machine.

4 Likes

Perhaps Chuck @dr_cee can address your questions?

Printmaking accepted a Kluge Press as a donation back in May (https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Printmaking_Committee_Meeting_20190511). Not sure if this is the same one as Chuck’s press, but @HoarseHorace will know the details.

Worth noting the donated press is currently inoperable: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/metal-objects-repairs-for-dms-by-lathe-class/58190/7

I don’t know printer companies, but is the letterpress you saw the one in the north warehouse (which belongs to the aforementioned @dr_cee) or the one in the Printmaking committee area?

If the one in printmaking, the plan is to eventually offer classes so members can use it. That particular one came to us from a college program, that had to phase it out due to safety concerns, since it will easily crush fingers or hands.

I’m fairly new to the Printmaking stuff here, so I’ll tag @Hardsuit to help with other questions or comments you might have.

The press is meant for public use once it is in working order. I don’t believe there are any plans to get type, so laser/photo plates are likely what will be used.

If you have access to any technical manuals, that would be a great help. We’ll need to understand how to maintain it once it is operational.

The Kluge needs a repair. The vacuum bar got broken during it’s move, and should prove easily fixed. Also, we need to get the Kluge off its palette, and onto the floor.

As for letters to fill the chase, we can make them on the MultiCam. This is very old school printing, and very cool.

Oh good, so bring it here so we can get more practice delivering people to the er.

It was actually owned by DFW airport and removed from service by risk management due to the exposed belt. Once plastics is up and running, the plan is to fab some more guards.

Legend has it, it actually came from McMurty’s haunted Mansion on the hill. Old man McMurty used to smash bad kids hands in the flaps. It gave the paper what was colloquially known as a “McMurty tinge.”

3 Likes

I can only tell you what the guy I picked it up from told me.

I was making up a scooby doo story to go with your haunted equipment.

1 Like

I stand corrected

Thank you all for the information. Yes it is a mechanical maylee when it is running. I remember watching it ink, feed, press and stack each page as it ran through a job. I stayed back a safe distance. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any manuals that survived. I never used it but my younger brother worked with it so he has some information that might be useful to fill in the gaps if something comes up.

2 Likes

Sorry for the NecroBump…but this Kluge is about 70 years old, so it’s fitting.

I got the Cam Head off the Kluge, yesterday. It is under the press on the pallet, awaiting a trip to the Machine Shop (for straightening) then Metal Shop (for welding).

3 Likes

Yaaaaay! Much thanks.

Thanks, dude!

Hopefully, I won’t die from heart failure lugging this SOB down the hallway. It’s made from PanzerMetal, and heavy as an Ox.

1 Like

I bet we have an app (dolly) for that…

1 Like