Question about Mechanics Tools Available

I am a pretty advanced mechanic and live part-time in the Dallas area; I was trying to find out to what extent there are mechanic tools at DMS.

Do you guys have like impact guns and sockets? Wrenches and such?

How do I get access to the 2 post lift? Even though I own one in Utah, do I need to train with your team to get permission to use it?

How do I schedule a time to use the post lift?

Yes, training is needed specific to DMS. Coming on Thursday evening for the Motorsports meetups is the most reliable way to get that training, usually conducted by @Bizwacky Jason, but there are others who might be able/willing and/or other times, usually by request.

Like most of our tools, first come first served.
We do have the cam so a quick glance can help see if it is indisposed at the time of checking.

Thanks @jast for the information and the cam link, this is very helpful. I will head up there on Thursday, what time does the group meet? 6pm?

Any idea if there are sockets, wrenches, and impact guns there?

Beth says 19:00. I’d believe her. She usually knows stuff. :smiley: Lift class anytime? - #2 by dryad2b
We nominally have wrenches & sockets & impact guns… sometimes locating them & having the ONE you need can be sketchy. If it’s a 10mm, give it up & bring your own.

Thanks so much, I will bring what I have with. Thanks so much for getting back to me. I will check on Thursday if they have a 21mm that will be needed for this fun project. ha

We normally meet at 7 but I’m up there a bit earlier, normally around 6 if that works better for you. We’ve got a pretty good selection of tools, we’ll certainly have a 21mm, although the sockets do tend to migrate themselves around the shop, as @jast mentioned.

1 Like

Thanks Jason; I will ride up there at 630 to make sure I can meet ya. I need to get setup with a Fob and sign the waiver etc. It will be nice to have a place to do the work i need and network as well.

Joe

2 Likes

A wise experienced person brings their own 10mm sockets. :thinking: They seem to come alive here and walk away. They should be on the Mystery Channel with the Loc Ness Monster.

But DMS does have a lot of tools. We’ve had other out of state “commuters” join DMS so they have something to do other than just sit in a hotel room. Take up other hobbies while they are here.

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome, it’s been a pleasure getting to know everyone. Look forward to putting some faces to names and doing some projects on the car. You’ll probably find me in the building during the day and donating tools most likely. All my good stuff is out of state, so I had to build a small collection to help me get back, it’s those unique items that are hard to justify to get, like a pneumatic impact ½ gun. ha

Those types of tools we definitely have. My sorta tongue in cheek joke about 110mm sockets is a inside joke you’ll learn. Only other heads up rule that may impact you is: any fluids you drain out of vehicle you must remove from facilities - no dumping in dumpster or down drains. EPA rules and such.

I think you’ll find your experience at DMS very welcoming - if here during week days you’ll pretty much own the place.

Thanks again for the feedback and support. One random question, does the automotive group have a creeper onhand or i can order one and donate it, just something good to have so the car doesn’t have to get lifted too high on a 2 post.

Joe

As far as I know yes, several.

I don’t recall the first safety locks being low enough to use with a creeper. But rolling chair range usually works with the safety locks.

1 Like

good to know, thanks Kevin. Rolly chair it is… I’m just not a fan of putting a car too high, I am 6’4, i like to keep it lower than usual.