Qubes OS (plus stooopid title char length requirement)

Continuing the discussion from Apple M1, will they pull it off?:

Any reason one wouldn’t be able to install this in a VM (e.g. Virtualbox)? I will probably try anyway but just wondering if I should expect to encounter any weirdness or have it fail so I don’t keep beating my head against a goat.

It’s technically doable, assuming you pass through VT-d though much of qubes’ operation will switch to emulation mode. Not every hypervisor will pass through extensions well enough for that. I think the only ones I’ve pulled it off with are Xen and VMWare.

The real question is why you’d want to virtualize Qubes? The entire point of the OS is to run applications in VM segments on its own hypervisor deployment.

Well…if what the article @lukeiamyourfather posted is more true than not, and one believes that once one big-tech, privacy-murdering, nanny-state-supporting software company starts doing this they all eventually will, I’d say it has effectively become impossible to make Win10 secure in the way Qubes is talking about.

But, “secure” issue aside, just being able to decide what your OS will and won’t do, and when, is a huge bonus, IMO.

Mostly to check to see if it is compatible with my current hardware, I guess. I’ll look more closely at web-site to see if they have a tool or something that examines a particular configuration and says “OK” or “nope”.

About that Apple stuff -

No doubt taking lessons from China…

Yep…That’s the article (well, blog post, really) Luke posted on the other thread…

I guess this settles the VM-Ware/Virtualbox question:

And my specific make and model of machine wasn’t listed on their Hardware Compatibility List page, either. There is also some language that Nvidia GPUs (which I have) don’t really play nice with Qubes, or vice-versa.

Check out the Qubes FAQ