Quarter sawing firewood

Need to reduce the size of some of my firewood. Is there a safety issue, or anything incorrect about using the bandsaw for this?

It’s not for a project…thinner sized pieces with a flat side just work better in my fireplace.

Most folks split firewood…
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ludell-6-lb-Splitting-Maul-with-34-in-Fiberglass-Handle-12306/204325898?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=sakDRc4Qo|dm_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_195274179091_pkw__pmt__product_204325898_slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqb_3nv6g2AIV2bXACh1OWQrSEAQYBiABEgKS4_D_BwE

Or

https://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200647343_200647343

@jast most folks also don’t learn how to use a Multi Cam CNC, 3D printer, HAAS milling machines, and a plethora of other things at the space…we’re special and like to try new and exciting ways of doing things…

That, and I don’t have enough yard space for cutting wood (there’s a darn pool in the way…most expensive home water feature I ever compromised on). Nor do I want to work that hard to get 4 pieces out of an 6” to 8” diameter log.

And then the caveat that I don’t have to buy another tool I don’t really need and then have to give storage space to!

If it’s a lot of firewood, the excellent thing to do would be to supply your own blade. Weathered/outdoor/dirty wood, like firewood tends to be, dulls a blade extremely quickly.

I’m only going to do 4 logs…I’ve not chaged blades before…what size do we need? I can I buy a blade on my way at Home Depot and donate it to the space. Maybe next time someone has a free moment, and would not mind, could show me how to swap it out?

If you are planning on using the Laguna (large) band saw – and you should be – Lowes Depot won’t have what is needed. I think we get them locally from D&R Saw (check w/@Azalaket). Because I am lazy I ordered one straight from Laguna Tools so I didn’t have to get up off the couch. Either way, you’ll want a length of 158 inches, ~3 TPI, and either 1/2 or /34 inch width.

But, all-in-all, 4 logs isn’t that big a load, as long as the wood is free of any dirt, grit, outdoor whatever. Power washing first does wonders for cleaning off a dirty log or reclaimed fence material.

3 Likes

And don’t forget to use the metal detector on it. Old nails and bullets do wonders for band saw blades. Not good wonders.

2 Likes

@nicksilva good call, I will do that.

@mblatz thank you for the specs and vendor…helped put the cost of consumables into perspective.

So I’ll do my few logs tonight, but won’t have a replacement blade yet, I will definitely need to learn how to swap out blades so I can bring my own.

1 Like