Python User Group and Lessons

Vintage Computers is sponsoring a new Python User Group at the Dallas makerspace.

Our next set of classes will be for an introduction to computer programming. We’ll be using the Python language since it’s one of those that are easy to get started and easy to get something useful built on various devices like Raspberry Pi, Data Science, as well as “Internet of Things” projects. These classes are for anyone of any level. So if you’ve never written a single line of code in your life or if you are a seasoned professional code poet / ninja that just wants to add Python to their arsenal this class is for you! We’ll break it into bi weekly classes running March to June. The first class will be just getting Python up and running and to hit some of the VERY basics like what is an “if statement” and what good is a “for loop” and how to of course make the computer say “hello world!” Then we’ll build on what we learned in the first class and start making slightly more complicated programs that use our very own functions like “add these two numbers” or “take this number to the third power” in the second class. Then we’ll use the third class to explain how to learn new programming languages by just looking up the syntax for those basic things like “if statements” and “for loops”, etc. If there’s time left at the end we could even show you how to make cool projects with a raspberry pi for example: email you every time your door is opened – with Python!

Don’t forget to RSVP to each course if you can make it (or at least the ones you can make it to) so we can have a head count to get the space ready for everyone. And of course tell everyone you know that would be interested about these classes so they can sign up too.

4 Likes

Your description above states “the first three Saturdays in June” while the linked event is every other Tuesday starting at the end of this month.

Is that $25 for the entire series or for each session?

1 Like

Thanks Bill,

Knew I missed something in editing. Got it updated. And that $25 is a one time to cover the materials for the class unless one wants to by the book themselves: http://amzn.to/2mL49Ia

1 Like

So does paying $25 get me the book?

I noticed there is a “free” option when registering for the class, so that is the way to pay only once.

Exactly. The book usually runs anywhere from $20 to $35 online depending on the format and source. If one has their own copy already then the course is free to them upon proof of owning a copy.

The link above takes one to the kindle version which is going for under $20 at this time.

1 Like

Class notice: Books will be ordered on Sunday morning for delivery to to the space so please make sure to plan ahead.

2 Likes

Are these dead tree-editions or e-books?

1 Like

Digitial can obviously be emailed at the start of the class so yes, the paperback version.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Python on the 6502/C64

I haven’t been able to find a new copy of the paperback version anywhere for $25. Will the copy that you order for paid participants be paperback and include the DVD?

Also, I noticed a different book by the same author specifically for Python 3. Is the book that you are going to be using strictly Python 2, or ??

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’ll be focusing mainly on 2.7 in the class but there is documentation online that shows how to migrate over to python 3 and for the most part its not that different

2 Likes

Good to know, Thanks! :slight_smile:

What about the book/DVD?

From the Don’t Try This At Home department, Python lets you walk over built-in functions:

This is the result when the code is run:

[quote]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python35-32\pow.py”, line 9, in
print(pow(2, 3))
TypeError: ‘int’ object is not callable[/quote]

Edit: research says this can be fixed.

or

Edit: Correction…that is builtins with an ‘s’.

2 Likes

Most of the books came in yesterday and it looks like there’s several others that have decided to “squeeze in” at the last moment so make sure to have your digital copy available as we’ll be covering a lot of material and there will be homework expected.

When we turn in our homework do we do the Study Drills or just the exercise?

I’d prefer both, repetition helps with​ retention. And be sure to watch the follow up materials on the disk.

words.poop(0) indeed…

1 Like

Programming projects?

How about Core War? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_War

It is robot combat at the machine code level.

2 Likes

Jeez…I really hope that we can direct any of our budding programming talent and class effort at internal projects…they seem to be abounding now! Even small maintenance efforts, enhancements, or bug fixes, with appropriate oversight (e.g. testing) would be very welcome, I would think.

3 Likes

I like it but maybe instead of an asm language based game it should use something that reenforces the programming courses we’ve been offering?!