Python for Beginners

I will be teaching an introductory class on Python this Sunday Oct 9 from 7PM to 8PM in the Purple Classroom.

3 Likes

I don’t see it on the event calendar … is it still happening?

Events need to be scheduled at least 48 hours in advance.

So… if there is not an event in a room … does that mean it is first come, first serve? He could still teach the class in that room if no one occupying it, right?

1 Like

Yes, he can still use it if no one else is already using it. Looking at the calendar, it doesn’t look like there will be any problem finding a place for the class - even if the Purple room happens to be in use… :wink:

I would imagine that since he just announced the class yesterday, that he didn’t even bother to try to get it on the calendar (or perhaps tried, and wasn’t able to, since (with the new calendar system) there is no longer an option to schedule a room at the last minute - even if it’s clearly available…

My apologies for the late reply.

Yes, it is occurring, and no, I wasn’t able to get it on the calendar. Depending on whether people are interested in continuing, I will try to do so for the future, but this really was a bit of an impromptu thing.

Cheers,
Alan

Well damn … I would have come up there if you had replied earlier … oh well …

Need to schedule another class! Tough afternoon / evening for a class … Cowboys game, Rangers playoff game, and the Presidential debate! Please think about holding another class! Thanks!

Oh, oops, sorry ^_^’

There isn’t too much stuff in the first class, but here is an overview of the first lesson: https://github.com/cag/python-for-beginners/blob/master/lesson_one.md

The next class is going to be on Thursday Oct 13 from 7-8p. I’m going to try and get it on the calendar proper this time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the class, Alan! I am looking forward to the next one!

Draco, keep your eyes open for the next one… Download and install Python 3.5 in the meantime (use default settings and if you are using Windows, be sure to put a checkmark in the box to add Python to PATH…).

Edit to add… “or look at Alan’s response above mine…” (apparently we were responding at the same time…. :wink: :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Hey Alan…

Thanks again for the two classes that you’ve had so far! I love how you pace the classes according to the level of the participants, and are so patient and creative with explaining concepts! :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to continuing with the classes!

I know the next one is scheduled tonight… Unfortunately, I will have to miss the first part because I’ll be in because I’ll be in the Infrastructure committee meeting. If you will allow, I’ll come in and join y’all for the second half of tonight’s lesson.

Thanks and thanks again!! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome!

I know I haven’t put up the next class yet, but I will. It’s just been hectic in my life, so sorry for any potential confusion. Just in case you’re wondering when, it is going to be on Thursday, Oct 20 from 7p-8p. I haven’t figured out where yet though.

EDIT: It’s probably gonna be in the Lecture Hall.

Cheers!
Alan

1 Like

Awesome! I’ll be there for the next class on Thursday the 20th! :slight_smile:

are we still having this or should I reboot it under VCC?