Putting the CNC to use!

Today’s project was a walnut valet tray. Had this ready to go for a while. Thanks to those who got the CNC up and running. Excited for other projects to come!

13 Likes

That is first class work Greg!

Heya Britt!

Quick question about materials allowed in the MulltiCam… I’d like to do something very similar to what Greg’s done here for some functional sculpted furniture I’ve got in mind. The material would be something like Corian or similar countertop material. Would that be allowed?

Thanks!

DD

Plastic has been allowed in the past and didn’t cause any issues. I don’t think we’d want anything that leaves any abrasive debris (stone would be out). I’m not sure what Corian chips are like.

This knowing that debris will make it everywhere and will be left behind despite best cleanup efforts. The last thing anyone wants is to find a chunk of material embedded in their wood project.

1 Like

Corian is about 1/3 PMMA, and 2/3 aluminum trihydroxide per some literature. Apparently aluminum trihydroxide gets used as dental polishing compound through medical air pencil sandblasters. So it can’t be too coarse, nor likely all that hard. I don’t think it is too likely to abrade any thing other than the cutter used to mill it directly, so it sounds like at minimum, a bring your own bit material, and plan to clean up well.

UHMW or HDPE cutting boards are more commonly pure plastic. So if they fit your use, they might be less objectionable. I’m also curious where this goes, as I would eventually like to plan to cut some larger coroplast sheets than the pig sig xcarve will handle.

2 Likes

It’s a relatively soft plastic and leaveS shavings very similar to wood shavings but softer. I’ve used the exact same router bits as I do for wood and it’s much less hard on the bits than wood. I’ll clean up after myself. Promise! :grin:

DD

Gotta learn how to use the MultiCam first, tho! It’s definitely on the list.

DD

Thanks! I’ll do research on UHMW and HDPE. Might well be a superior option. Much appreciated!

DD

I’ve done HDPE with great success. I even saved a baggie of the chips because they were so beautiful :slight_smile: curled up like little grains of rice.

1 Like