Purple "scrap" left everywhere

Came in this morning (12/23) to knock out a few quick things, and see there is thick purple insulation foam all over in the scrap area. The vast majority of the material is nowhere suitable for re-use by others.

I cleaned up what I could, but whoever left it behind needs to be more conscientious in the future.

1 Like

Found some more over on the free shelves too.

There has also been a lot of 1/8ā€ hardboard piling up against the laser ā€œfreeā€ table. Stuff with no usable material left. Lots of circles cut out. Here is when I took them to the trash. More have shown up since.

1 Like

Thereā€™s been some great ones recently. Weā€™re pretty much done with the Christmas rush so we have a while now to think about signage or otherwise to convince people that the scrap pile isnā€™t an indoor dumpster.

Steph spoke with them about breaking material down. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Two suggestions -
(a) Letā€™s not call it the scrap pile. Thatā€™s the wrong message. Letā€™s call it the Re-use pile.
(b) At one time the signage indicated the minimum amount of usable material in order for it to be considered re-usable. It might be worth adding that to the signage.

5 Likes

That seems so obvious in retrospect. I like it.

At the last laser meeting we did approve a scrap rule that all pieces much have an 8"x8" useable area, or fit in a ā€˜sample cutsā€™ bin we planned to provide. I just need to actually make the sign and post it up.

1 Like

can I help?

2 Likes

Absolutely! Technically weā€™ve just got the one area under the table by the back door, but I donā€™t think anyone will complain about a sign on the scrap re-use pile by metal shop either, since itā€™s mostly laser that clogs it up anyways.

Iā€™ll bring a bin up tonight for test cut material. The intention is a few pieces each of common materials so people can test settings before ruining their own.

1 Like

Iā€™m envisioning something similar to the ā€œYou must be THIS TALL to ride this rideā€.
Can we also invest in some sort of crunching device - like a tree lopper - that can be handy to remove the surrounding ā€œairā€ from a useable piece of left-over.

Most materials I see in the pile can be snapped apart by hand, were you thinking of an actual set of loppers?

And yeah! My thought was a card cabled to the area with a window in it, if you canā€™t fill up the window, throw it away.

well, yeah, I was thinking something an actual whacking device chained to the table. While theoretically, the stuff can be snapped apart, if itā€™s not easy, they wonā€™t even try.

1 Like

Pruning shears work great on light stock.

1 Like

We can chain some of these down: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiss-9-3-4-in-MetalMaster-Compound-Action-Straight-Left-and-Right-Cut-Snips-M3RS/100060795

The only larger things that come to mind (like a throatless shear) are really, inexplicably good at removing fingers.

Thereā€™s a pair of shears wire roped to the rear table and a bin. I didnā€™t manage to make labels for anything so hopefully people figure it out :sweat_smile:

3 Likes