Punches for Hatcher's

Hey Everyone,
@thatguy reached out to me the other night about getting some punches for Hatcher’s. I bet this was in getting ready for his AR Building class. So I’ve been looking and it seems we need roll pin punches in 3/32, 5/32, and 1/8.

So I’m wondering if this might be a great project to make on the lathe at DMS. A Flat punch set for carbon steel costs 8.99 at harbor freight, and the rolled pin sets cost even more on other sites. As we don’t need a full set, and we need multiple sets for the class, I’m thinking I can get some steel bar stock at one of the local suppliers and possibly make a few sets for under $20 to Hatcher’s. Plus, it would be a good learning experience for possibly making some hollow ground screw drivers for Hatcher’s in the near future.

So now what?

@Photomancer, might I garner your help in learning to make a punch or two?

@Everyone else, is a 4340 rolled steel bar when hardened good enough for a punch set?

I know many will say just buy these tools, well Hatcher’s is trying to figure out if we even have any money as we have some accounting issue where our account is currently negative funds, though we thought we have $200. Still working to figure this out.

Check the Machine Shop Roll around, there are some drift punches and a couple of straight shaft punches.

If you want to make some, text me Tuesday afternoon or evening, I’ll be back by then and have some good steel to make the punches you need. We’ll probably have to get some HSS inserts for the lathes as these are hardened steel but heat treating won’t be an issue since and only a minor amount of material needs to be removed.

1 Like

Could be fun to pack carburize or flame harden some 4340. I’ve got a small kiln I’d be willing to donate to the project seeing as we can’t have oxy acetylene and I can’t think of another way to get the pices hot enough.

Thanks @Photomancer I’ll reach out to you probably Wednesday. I believe @thatguy found your punches and used them last night. But, he requested that I get some. I’m excited to see what steel you have.

@snaps if we don’t have enough hardened steel from David, I’ll definetly reach out to you. I doubt we will need the kiln, I’m hoping the hardening would be a good job for the induction furnace owned by the black smithing group??? What do you think?

I just joined DMS last week and was unaware we had an induction heater. That makes things much easier.

Not wired up yet. But it would be ideal.

The steel I’m thinking of definitely has some chrome and probably nickle in, rust resistant already and heat treated already so probably won’t distort.

Why not use brass punches?

I’d rather the tool deform than the weapon if there’s a problem.

1 Like

Really the induction heater needs a better heat exchanger. Similar to the TIG machines.

Brass punches are’t going to hold up, particularly roll pin punches. They’ll either deform or break when you get a tiny bit off axis.

Honestly, while this could be a cool project, the tolerances that you need for roll pin punches is pretty tight. I just get mine from Midway or Brownell’s and order more when I break them.

When you’re building ARs, punches are nearly a disposable commodity. I’d feel bad breaking something that another maker put a LOT of time into constructing.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/punches/roll-pin-punches-prod38883.aspx

That’s a good set of pin punches.

Also, if you use a nice hardened punch to start the removal, you’re less likely to break them.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/punches/premium-roll-pin-starter-punches-prod65428.aspx

Finally, when setting pins (not just roll pins), if you use a hollow starter, you’re less likely to have it slip off and mar your receiver.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/punches/premium-roll-pin-holders-prod71891.aspx

Sorry to hijack, I’m brand new to the space (and to Dallas), but I own part of an 07/02, and have built a few hundred AR-pattern rifles over the years. Using the right tools makes an enormous difference in student satisfaction and final result.

I’ll stick with brass on all my personal weapons. To each his own and we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

I have actual roll pin punches. I do like them, Gun Gear to Go in Plano is where I got them. They may not have any at the moment as they were broken into last night.

If you are really doing this on the regular the real tool is a pin pusher. But you need a special one for pretty much every pin you set. They are really awesome, but a bit too specialized for our needs. Don’t feel bad about messing up one of our hand made punches. The fact that we made it means we can repair or remake it in the future.